XF 1.4 The attachments directory could not be found.

Bonsai Coder

Yes, the dreaded "The attachments directory could not be found."

I am importing from vBulletin install on the same server (but different user). The absolute path:

/home/username/public_html/forums/attachments

I log into my root directory, and this is the path. I am looking directly at the attachment files. But the importer cannot see them(?) Any help? I've checked the folder and file permissions. I've even turned off open_basedir protection just to see if it made any difference. It doesn't.

Should be:

/home/username/public_html/forums/data

and

/home/username/public_html/forums/internal_data

Make sure these two folders have 777 for the permissions.

I should have said this is for a vBulletin 4.x installation import.

I do not have either of the folders you mentioned.

EDIT Are you talking about the xenForo install? I'm talking about the importer tool not recognizing the path to the attachments directory for my vBulletin install.

I am importing from vBulletin install on the same server (but different user).
The part in bold is likely the relevant part. It's unlikely that the user you're running as has access to that user's files. The easiest thing would be to copy the attachments into your current user's directory (make sure they are owned by your current user).

The easiest thing would be to copy the attachments into your current user's directory (make sure they are owned by your current user).

Ugh. Thanks. I started going down this route until I saw 60,000 attachments that would need to copied :( I was hoping for an easier option :)

Last edited:
You just need to copy the directory, it makes no difference how many attachments there are, other than the space required to duplicate it.

Thank you Brogan for your response. Can you be more specific about how I would do this? There has to be a fast way to copy between the two accounts, but I don't see it via cPanel menus. My slow method would involve FTP down to desktop and then back up to the other account... which would take forever.

Thanks Brogan. It's all taken care of.

So the quick question - I did a full import of everything BUT the attachments. Is there a quick and dirty way to JUST import the attachments? Or should I start over?

No worries either way - I am getting comfortable with the new software and am just figuring it all out.

Top Bottom