The 1980's...

Kim

*movie style wavy flashback vortex*

Ahhh the 1980's I remember it well, it was big and it was loud and looking back it was a rather innocent time.

Australia was riding high it seemed, everything was gold gold gold down under.

Great time to be a young person having a lot of fun I must say!

What are your 1980's memories if you are old enough to remember.. or do you wish you lived then if you are not?

Graduated high school. Went to the high school national wrestling championships on a scary good team. I however didn't do that good at the national championships, won two matchs then lost two matches, that was hard to take because I was used winning. My teammates however included some individuals that would become among the best in the sport. The team produced 3 NCAA champions and two Olympic Gold medalists. In 1980 I also beat the high school USJA national Judo champion "Tony Powel" in tournament in Cincinnati Ohio. I was also an endurance backpacker at the time and loved working round up.

Graduated high school. Went to the high school national championships on a scary good team. I however didn't do that good at the national championships, won two matchs then lost two matches. My teammates however included some individuals that would become among the best in the sport. The team produced 3 NCAA champions and two Olympic Gold medalists.

What sport Jon?

I graduated high school in 1985 :D So some of the best times of my life were in the 80's (Teens and College)

Very similar Bobster :D I have to say the mid - late 80's were a huge blast!

Here's some music compiliations from the 80's.. lots of memories of nightclubs and pubs etc listening to these :D hehe

First song on this one.. AHA - Take on Me.. OMG that was huge here, and I have really fun memory of a night of drinking and dancing with some friends and some rather gorgeous Norwegian boys :D hehehe

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very similar Bobster :D I have to say the mid - late 80's were a huge blast!

Here's some music compiliations from the 80's.. lots of memories of nightclubs and pubs etc listening to these :D hehe

First song on this one.. AHA - Take on Me.. OMG that was huge here, and I have really fun memory of a night of drinking and dancing with some friends and some rather gorgeous Norwegian boys :D hehehe

I noticed that only a few of the people in the video had the sterotypical 80's hair.

Most of the guys I knew sported the Flat top.. or other 'do's like that..

The Movie Top Gun had a huge influence on fashion and style for young men, so most looked pretty clean cut actually.

This look was pretty big for guys.....

1572.jpg

I didn't know any guys that had the sort of BIG Metallica hair

The math of an 80's baby.

(80's + youth) * time = wtf

OMG this song.. I can vividly remember the first time I heard this song... it was a gorgeous sunny day in Sydney, I was driving (too fast) a borrowed soft top Mazda RX7 with the top down, crossing this large bridge in Sydney, when this song came on.. It was a truly amazing moment in my life.. one I will never forget :D

This look was pretty big for guys.....

I didn't know any guys that had the sort of BIG Metallica hair
Actually, all over Europe there were lots of guys wearing long hair in the 80's. The metal culture was kinda popular in many european countries. Oh, and a certain band from down under contributed a lot to the popularity of heavy rock music.

The "Top Gun" effect was probably strongest in the U.S. I can imagine how many teens wanted to become a Navy fighter pilot after seeing that movie, but for us europeans, it was very unrealistic to dream that dream.

For the record, I do like that movie and I'm still watching it every now and then. However, I do (and did) care little about how cute Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis were looking in the movie - the best looking part of it is the F-14 Tomcat :)

I also like Dirty Dancing, lol. Completely different memories though.

I graduated in 1978' went to local community college, married in '84(stoopid mistake), stayed married too long, made a lot of bad choices.... The early 80's was not a good time for me, lol.

I thought this was the sounds of the 80's

When the train pulled into the station
He'd open up his case and resin up his
He'd play upside down the Orange Blossom Special
Cause if you want to make a living you've got to put on a good show

And when he'd smell the smoke and the cinders
He'd slick back his hair, and open up his case
He'd play the Cherokee Fiddle, he'd play it for the whiskey
Cause good whiskey never let him lose his place

He was always there, playing for the miners
The Devil's Dream was a song they understood
And then he'd go out to Oklahoma
But he'd wait till the trains were running and the weather was good

Now the Indians are dressing up like cowboys
And the cowboys are putting leather and turquoise on
And the music is sold by lawyers
And the fools who fiddled in the middle of the stations are gone

Some folks say they'll never miss him
That old fiddle squealed like the engines brakes
The Cherokee Fiddle is gone forever
Like the music of the whistle that the old locomotives made

So when you smell the smoke and the cinders
Slick back your hair, and open up your case
Play the Cherokee Fiddle, you can play it for the whiskey
Good whiskey will never let you lose your place

Actually, all over Europe there were lots of guys wearing long hair in the 80's. The metal culture was kinda popular in many european countries. Oh, and a certain band from down under contributed a lot to the popularity of heavy rock music.

The "Top Gun" effect was probably strongest in the U.S. I can imagine how many teens wanted to become a Navy fighter pilot after seeing that movie, but for us europeans, it was very unrealistic to dream that dream.

For the record, I do like that movie and I'm still watching it every now and then. However, I do (and did) care little about how cute Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis were looking in the movie - the best looking part of it is the F-14 Tomcat :)

I also like Dirty Dancing, lol. Completely different memories though.

haha.. I think most Aussie guys realised they had no hope of being half as sexy as Michael Hutchence and didn't bother with the long hair :p

Looking back I can now remember there were two guys in my circle that did wear their hair like that.. but it was how their hair was naturally, and without the mullet short front bits! lol more like MH's hair I guess.

That big hair was very popular for girls though.. I wore my hair that way for a time :p

God.. Michael Hutchence... I am totally gone on him for the rest of the day now.... *swooooon*

Sad... but so very Rock and Roll!!!!! that he should die in an Auto Erotic Asphyxiation gone horribly wrong!

Rock on Michael, you were totally messed up.. but, you're still the sexiest man that ever drew breath in my book!

145817__mh_l.webp
<------------------------ Hotter than hell!

Totally uncool permed mullet :| ------------------------------------->
bon-jovi-Big-Hair.webp

*movie style wavy flashback vortex*

Ahhh the 1980's I remember it well, it was big and it was loud and looking back it was a rather innocent time.

Australia was riding high it seemed, everything was gold gold gold down under.

Great time to be a young person having a lot of fun I must say!

What are your 1980's memories if you are old enough to remember.. or do you wish you lived then if you are not?

I don't remember much since I wasn't born yet (for like five years). Damn, did I miss all the fun stuff or what :D

I am going to drive the young yanks out here nuts with this but I have to say something. The West can grow on you. There is a 27 year old California girl that moved out here and she at first hated the sounds of the West.

Well she called her mom and said she going cowgirl and likes the sounds here. Her mother wants to come and save her since the music here is growing on her. Her mother was shocked that she can Texas Two Step now.

Back to the sounds of the 80's

Cover your ears yankees, I know you will hate these.

Top Bottom