The 1980's...

Rofl you best be posting that pic!!!! we know you have it!!! lolol

hahahahahaha NEVER!!!

At this time, I have no knowledge of any such pictures...
whistling.gif

I was playing Nintendo.

...I still do o_O

In 1982, my parents and my little brother went to the UK (I didn't go as I was at boarding school :( ) via Singapore, and in Singapore they purchased several of these new things called "Game and watch" by a company called Nintendo.

I still have one of them... Fire Attack, you had to defend the fort against the ever increasing hoardes of Indians (very un-PC LOL) My brother also had an Octopus one, and another one I can't recall now.. both of which are long gone, the only reason I still have this one is I stole it from him when we were still kids and never gave it back! Unfortunately it is not in mint condition, but it did still work the last time we put batteries in it.

My son has been trying to get his grubby mitts on this for years, he is never going to get it, until he inherits it :p

Edit.. at that time 1982 these were not yet available in Australia, so having these gave my bro huge street cred! lol
game_watch82.webp

hahahahahaha NEVER!!!

whistling.gif

In 1982, my parents and my little brother went to the UK (I didn't go as I was at boarding school :( ) via Singapore, and in Singapore they purchased several of these new things called "Game and watch" by a company called Nintendo.

I still have one of them... Fire Attack, you had to defend the fort against the ever increasing hoardes of Indians (very un-PC LOL) My brother also had an Octopus one, and another one I can't recall now.. both of which are long gone, the only reason I still have this one is I stole it from him when we were still kids and never gave it back! Unfortunately it is not in mint condition, but it did still work the last time we put batteries in it.

My son has been trying to get his grubby mits on this for years, he is never going to get it, until he inherits it :p

View attachment 15510

LoL everyone in school used to own one of those and everyone used to exchange their game disc :P

And then, right at the end of the 80s, the German wall collapsed. The cold war, which had gripped us all for as long as we remembered ended. Russians were no longer the bad guys.

Of course this was the best thing about the 1980's!

It's very hard for kids to understand how there was always this undercurrent of the risk of Nuclear annihilation at any point... it was probably why we partied so hard! LOL

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes, Sting - Russians, Nena - 99 Luft Balloons, and many other songs about this threat we lived under from the 1980's.

I cried when the wall came down, it was just such an inspiration, that people power could defeat even the strongest of repressive governments!

That's great :D

This one didn't have game discs, the whole unit only played the one built in game.

The one available in my country was the one which needed disc and the other type which runs from battery with built in games . I never found out who stole mine tho :(

I cried when the wall came down, it was just such an inspiration, that people power could defeat even the strongest of repressive governments!

At the time it happened, I was 14 or 15 years old.I do remember seeing the videos, and realizing something major had just happened.I probably was too young to really comprehend things at the time, but I do recall the cold war propaganda about the evil communists and Russians.

Years later, I visited Berlin, and went to Checkpoint Charlie, which is now a museum. It really truly shows how desperate some people were to get out of East-Germany. And at the very end of the museum, after you saw all the hardships these people had to endure, and the circumstances under which they lived, there's videos of the wall being torn apart by these people, almost with their bare hands. It truly is an emotional experience.

It's almost as shocking as visiting a former concentration camp. You really truly do not have any grasp or idea about what went on in there until you actually walk around in a place like that. It's heartbreaking to see, and at the same time, it is uplifting to see that man is so embarrassed about what they have been capable of doing that they are not afraid to openly show it in order to ensure it will not be forgotten, and hopefully not repeated.

Woah. Went quite a bit off-topic there. Well. Considering we're talking 80s, and somehow crossed into Germany, I'm sure I can get away with this one.

Ladies and gents, one of THE symbols of the 1980s, in all his glory. Do NOT hassle the HOF:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure how popular they were outside of the US, but the Garbage Pail Kids collectible stickers were VERY popular during the '80s. My Grandfather had an ice cream truck and he'd buy boxes of them to sell them by the pack. I was able to put together sets of the very first series of stickers and sold/traded those for other stickers and cards :D

GPK_8a_adambomb.jpg

Thinking about the 80's brings back a lot of nostalgia. I grew up in the 80's and I miss it; things were simpler then. Enjoyed after school cartoons like GI Joe cartoons, transformers, and games like Defender, Joust, Guantlet, super mario bros, dig dug, and the first zelda on the NES.

This one is for you then: 312 pics and counting:

Growing Up In Arcades: 1979-1989

http://www.flickr.com/groups/arcades/pool/

5671563982_56c797ff7d_z.jpg

hahahahahaha NEVER!!!

whistling.gif
Haha, this reads like a press release from your PR department :p

Speaking about the late 80's, cold war and all the change that happened (this was actually "change, we didn't believe it could ever happen", so much more exciting than today's "change").

Nena in the 80's (99 red balloons, the english version)

Nena today (yes, she's still around and quite popular in german speaking countries, sorry no English versions of her songs I know of).

And the definite hymn for all the political changes in eastern Europe of the late 80's.

[/quote]

Haha, this reads like a press release from your PR department :p

Speaking about the late 80's, cold war and all the change that happened (this was actually "change, we didn't believe it could ever happen", so much more exciting than today's "change").

Nena in the 80's (99 red balloons, the english version)

hahaha :p

I mentioned Nena in one of my posts above, we had the German version here in Australia, it was a big hit and reached #1 , never did care for the English version myself.

It was an amazing revolution, no one thought it could happen!

Top Bottom