The 1980's...

10 POKE 53281,0
20 POKE 53280,0
RUN

Commodore_64_Box.jpg

LOL fortunately no one I knew sported such a do!

I had the exact same Jacket as the guy second from the right! My hair was more like the guy on the far left though LOL

Who the heck were those guys?
Rofl you best be posting that pic!!!! we know you have it!!! lolol

Was just a random google for 80's hair styles (sadly it don't say who they are)

I was a mere wee lad in the 80s. But heck, the music was a lot better than today's "yo female dogs, check out my bling. Whoops, that was not my bling, but whatcha think of it anyway?".

I remember buying bucketloads of casette tapes (to the youngins here, like duct tape, but on two rolls, with music on it, and enclosed in a hard-plastic cover with wheels. You'd put it into this casette deck, and could record music from the radio, but always ended up getting pissed off because some DJ jack*ss would talk through it somehow.We also had vinyl (Hubcap sized CDs that would scratch easily causing the songs to go all loopy. And if you had bad luck, your record player would continue plaaaaayiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggg slooooooowwwweeeeeeeeerrrrr aaaaaaaaaaannndddd slooooooooooowwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr) records. 1 of those was 12 inches wide, stored in a cardboard cover, and contained less music than fits on even your tiniest USB stick.

Playing Pong on an old Atari, hooked to a colour tv that was as big as half the living room, and that you had to walk to to switch channels. Using a phone heavy enough to bash someone's head in. Internet? Fuggedabout it. Modems over the phoneline at 300 Baud. KREEEEEEUYYYYYUUUUUUOOOOWAAAAAAAMMMPPPPKRRREEEEEEENG connections. And JUST when you were about to grab the last 1% of that new game you were downloading, your dad would pick up the phone, and you could start all over again. Three hours later, and you had 1.2 MB worth of data, which was a pretty cool game.

The A-Team, Knightrider, AirWolf, Love Boat, Phil Cosby, Magnum PI. A-HA vs Bros. Bon Jovi vs Europe. Kim Wilde vs Nena.

And then, right at the end of the 80s, the German wall collapsed. The cold war, which had gripped us all for as long as we remembered ended. Russians were no longer the bad guys.

Damn, I feel old now.

This look was pretty big for guys.....

1572.jpg

I didn't know any guys that had the sort of BIG Metallica hair

Hell yeah. I had a blockhead cut for most of my highschool time. I used so much gel that my hair was frequently used to hold two boards together. There's a shopping mall somewhere held together completely by that see-through yellow gel, and some of the produce of the follicles on my scalp!

Life today is way too sanitized, predictable and boring.

Give me a pack of Space Dust from the 80's that may or may not have contained enough chemicals to bring down a racehorse...ahhh happy memories.

2292507374_a32c3226ae.jpg

Jeez, what a great thread. The 80's were a major part of my teenage years, got my first computer (ZX80), loved the music at the time especially Madness, Thompson Twins, Culture Club, Duran Duran, The Jam, The Specials etc. Actually I still do listen to that music on a regular basis.

I may be dropping into the 70's but I loved playing on the Atari 2600 especially Missile Command :)

For the UK peeps, remember taping the chart show on a Sunday night, pressing pause at exactly the right moment so that you didn't get the DJ talking over the record?

Graduated in 1978 from a high school in upstate NY.
Joined a band shortly before that, and we jammed for the next 3 years in a basement.
1981, went to Alabama where the band played the university circuit through most of the South.
1983, the band kicked me out for not wanting to go New Wave (we were a 60's/70's band). By the way, one of the band members was Joe Scarborough. Yes, the very same Joe Scarborough of Morning Joe fame; and who was a congressman before that.
After being kicked out, I became one of the homeless wannabe future Country stars in Nashville.
Left Nashville two months later, back to upstate NY.
1984 was spent in Saratoga Springs, NY, hanging at a place called Cafe Lena, a coffeehouse. I explored the Folk side of me there, as well as a few of the Skidmore girls. :rolleyes:
Summer 1984 went to Boston/Cambridge, playing on the streets, mostly in Harvard Square and the Boston Common. Made some $$, slept in Longfellow Park most nights.
September '84 woke up in Longfellow Park one morning in a small lake after it rained on me all night.
Mid-September '84, back to my parents in upstate NY.
Got a job at a place called Picnic Pizza for about 18 months.
Met a girl from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in June 1985.
Moved to Cape Breton in April 1986, we got married in June.
Worked the front desk for a chiropractor from April '87 to August '88.
Started playing piano in hotel lounges and similar places in late '88.
Formed another band in December '89. Old rock & roll, Country, some 70's & 80's stuff.

Enter the 90's, which is for another thread. :D

Thinking about the 80's brings back a lot of nostalgia. I grew up in the 80's and I miss it; things were simpler then. Enjoyed after school cartoons like GI Joe cartoons, transformers, and games like Defender, Joust, Guantlet, super mario bros, dig dug, and the first zelda on the NES. Some bands I liked back then, and still do: aerosmith, motley crew, poison, guns 'n' roses, bon jovi, tesla, just to name a few. Oh yes, parachute pants, and OP T shirts. ... and a girl name Nicole... well, let's not go there. ;)

Top Bottom