That was too easy!! Should I be worried.

Amphicar770

Last night after my VB 3.x site started acting up I did a cutover to xenForo, including migration of my data. Originally I was going to wait for some additional features to be released but am glad I gave up the wait.

This was the easiest install I have ever come across. I did not have to modify files, I did not even have to do a chmod. Is it really that simple? Should I be doing some post cleanup, deleting the install directory or something.

Well I doubt you would get a feature as big as that in a third point (maintenance) release.

This release of XenForo 1.0.1 follows our principle that third-point (x.x.X) releases should always be more stable than the preceding version, so for the most part you will not find new features in 1.0.1. New features will be reserved for second point versions (x.X.x).

I expect to see 1.1 on july , currently xenforo is 99% stable and there is not much to do to hit the 100%
I think they said there will be a few more maintenance releases, but in another post I think Kier said he wanted to release before Halloween.

I'll do a search in a few and find the necessary threads.

I too was planning to wait for 1.1 in hopes of features like option to include message content in new posting alert emails.

Last week my VB 3.x site started dupicating posts. After spending a day trying to figure out what was going on I gave up and switched over. As my original post stated, migration was easier than most VB upgrades.

Overall the feedback has been very positive. People like the look and feel of the new system. The biggest gripe I have had is the loss of the email integration add-on which allowed people to receive and post messages via email similar to how Yahoogroups works. Hopefully a similar mod will show up for Xenfor one day. I also lost my photo gallery, again something I hope to restore eventually.

I am very glad I made the switch. Better user experience, better admin experience. As the product evolves and more developers start releasing mods, it can only get better.

Mike
www.amphicar770.com

Top Bottom