Thanks for the update

Razasharp

Thank you for the update Ashley :)

I'm sure many of us (perhaps after thinking about it) appreciate that the team can't really give many updates with the lawsuit lingering, but it would be nice to see Mike and Kier on the 'who's online list' more regularly and to just post a few reassuring words every now and again. I'd be happy with that for now, rather than the more detailed updates that many people (including myself) have been asking for - as I accept that may be difficult under the present circumstances.

With regards to modding please take action against abusive posters. Personal attacks should not be allowed under any circumstances. A single warning should suffice, followed by a ban if they persist. Anyone should be allowed to air any concern without fear of attack - so long as they do so in an acceptable, fair manner.

With regards to people asking about updates - I think it's ok to merge such threads - because they are essentially the same topic. Locking/censoring them will just fuel the concerns and make things worse tbh.

With regards to troll-ish posts/threads, well Admins should know better - so perhaps a rule to say all threads or posts should be constructive and with the decorum you would expect on a forum full of forum Administrators, might do the trick?

Anyway, wish you and the team all the best, and I look forward to seeing the changes you mention.

Hopefully that wouldn't be necessary - if we can just stop the abusive posters, which if we're honest I think is just a very small minority.

Also, one way I tackle 'fights' on my forum is by forced blocks. If two people just can't be civil to one another, or one person makes an official complaint (such as for bullying) about the other - they are both put on a forced block. Which means they must not contact each other in any way shape or form on the site - that means they can't post in the other person's thread or refer to them directly or indirectly via the site. It works well :)

Hopefully that wouldn't be necessary - if we can just stop the abusive posters, which if we're honest I think is just a very small minority.
I doubt we can stop it, but I think it's a good idea to implement any way. There's just some questions that do not need the entire community commenting on.

Also, one way I tackle 'fights' on my forum is by forces blocks. If two people just can't be civil to one another, or one person makes an official complaint (such as bullying) about the other - they are both put on a forced block. Which means they must not contact each other in any way shape or form on the site - that means they can't post in the other person thread or refer to them directly or indirectly via the site. It works well :lol:
How do you enforce this?

I doubt we can stop it, but I think it's a good idea to implement any way. There's just some questions that do not need the entire community commenting on.

I turned around one of my (fairly large) forums that was getting a bit like what we see here recently, I drew up some discussion guidelines and made an announcement *touch wood* it worked almost overnight lol (purely because it's usually just a few that need those reminders/rules)

How do you enforce this?

They are banned permanently if they ignore the rule. We take it *very* seriously, especially if the complaint is because of bullying.

As Jake said earlier in his post, people are still asking the same things despite the official update. Now they are discussing whether the the latest update is a sign that developement was on hold until now... I had an inch of doubt before but now I'm confident about the reason why the devs stopped participating in the community: Their time is better spend doing actual work.

They are banned permanently if they ignore the rule. We take it *very* seriously, especially if the complaint is because of bullying.
I guess it boils down to enforcement of the rule and how many people you have available to help enforce it. I could see that working here. I think something that would be more effective is an admin ability that forces users to be on each others' ignore list. It would also have to not allow them to 'show ignored content', as well.

As Jake said earlier in his post, people are still asking the same things despite the official update. Now they are discussing whether the the latest update is a sign that developement was on hold until now... I had an inch of doubt before but now I'm confident about the reason why the devs stopped participating in the community: Their time is better spend doing actual work.
To be fair, it wasn't much of an update. He told us what we already know.

I would just ignore them. People are allowed to think whatever they want to think - ao long as they are not being disruptive, let them post their post - it's no skin of anyone else's nose really.

I guess it boils down to enforcement of the rule and how many people you have available to help enforce it. I could see that working here. I think something that would be more effective is an admin ability that forces users to be on each others' ignore list. It would also have to not allow them to 'show ignored content', as well.

Yeah a proper ignore function would be great, but still the manual version works well. Usually the other person will report the other if they break the rule - as they'd love nothing more than to see the other person get banned lol

We've used the rule for years, and it just works :)

To be fair, it wasn't much of an update. He told us what we already know.

They've said they're working on 1.2.0 multiple times now, yes. I'm baffled that every time they say they're still working on 1.2.0 people respond with, "Okay, okay, but are they really working on 1.2.0? We need an update now!" In all of these threads with rampant speculation all I can picture is this guy:

Ancient_Aliens.jpg.274x274_q85_upscale.jpg

I said as much before, but I got called a fanboy :rolleyes:.

With regards to modding please take action against abusive posters. Personal attacks should not be allowed under any circumstances. A single warning should suffice, followed by a ban if they persist. Anyone should be allowed to air any concern without fear of attack - so long as they do so in an acceptable, fair manner.

A point I would like to highlight in consideration of recent events. If someone ends up resorting to personal attacks or insults, just use the report button. One of the mods will get to it eventually, and if if happens to be me... as per my comments here the result for the offender(s) will not be pretty.

No need to reply to a personal attack, as tempting as it may be, all it will do is serve to possibly get yourself warned or worse...

They've said they're working on 1.2.0 multiple times now, yes. I'm baffled that every time they say they're still working on 1.2.0 people respond with, "Okay, okay, but are they really working on 1.2.0? We need an update now!" In all of these threads with rampant speculation all I can picture is this guy:

Yeah, except I didn't say that. We know they're working on it...

I said as much before, but I got called a fanboy :rolleyes:.

Ignore'em, that's what I do. I'm not hiding it, or denying that I'm using a stable and bugless (haven't encountered one so far) software which me and my users adore. I'm aware that the developement is going, that's all I need until new goodies arrive. If this is called being a "fanboy" so be it.

Well, to be fair, it's understandable that people might be having doubts (especially in light of recent events, and of course sometimes people need to see more than "we're working on it"). But that's nothing to do with any of us and is something the team need to address. People shouldn't be attacked if they air concerns.

Anyway that doesn't matter any more as I think personal attacks may be a thing of the past with more mods on board now :)

Hey Ashley, if you are reading this, thanks a lot for the update. That was very reassuring. Thanks again... :)

No need to reply to a personal attack, as tempting as it may be, all it will do is serve to possibly get yourself warned or worse...
So you are telling that if someone insults me and I reply... I will get a warning?

Top Bottom