Thanks for the update

So you are telling that if someone insults me and I reply... I will get a warning?

If you reply in kind with your own insults, yes. Regardless of "who started it", insults and attacks on a business forum are unacceptable by anyone.

If you reply in kind with your own insults, yes. Regardless of "who started it", insults and attacks on a business forum are unacceptable by anyone.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to see a change in this area. So far, in every single thread I recently posted on these forums I got attacked with fanboysm and "wise" remarks.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to see a change in this area. So far, in every single thread I recently posted on these forums I got attacked with fanboysm and "wise" remarks.
Just use the Report post button if this happens. I'm sure the brand new, keen moderating team will be incredibly quick to react :)

Well, to be fair, it's understandable that people might be having doubts (especially in light of recent events, and of course sometimes people need to see more than "we're working on it").

First I want to say that I never intentionally try to insult people. My posts can be sternly worded, probably because I used to be an admin for a medium sized gaming community that had more drama than Graham's Number has digits, so I try to get my point across without a lot of pleasantries. I would like to respond to this part of your comment though.

I'm really not sure what constitutes a better response than "we're working on it". Further the community members who are voicing their concern have different reasons for their doubts. So let's take a look at these and I'll offer my own opinion on them before summing up my post.

One of the biggest driving factors in this wave of uncertainty that I've seen is the posting habits of the developers. Specifically that it dropped off quite dramatically. I have seen projects where this has happened before and development has pretty much halted. The thing is the vast majority of the time I've seen this happen is with open source projects where there's no monetary incentive. There's been a few cases where a parent company quietly cancels a project and doesn't allow its subsidiary to talk about it, but it's rare. Neither of these cases describe XenForo. As far as I know - and I could be wrong - the livelihood of the developers is dependent upon the success of XenForo. They have a very real financial incentive to make this a success against all odds. In my opinion their posting habits really shouldn't be an issue and for reasons I stated above shouldn't be indicative of anything going afoul with XenForo.

Another point of contention is the lawsuit. This ties in a lot with the previous point and will lead to my third point later on. This is a legitimate concern that I have; not for myself but for XenForo Ltd. in general. If you bought a XenForo license I hope you read up on this issue beforehand and decided that it was worth the risk. As I've stated before, Internet Brands may still destroy XenForo even if they eventually lose the lawsuit by having its own community tear itself apart. So while this frivolous lawsuit is probably taking its toll on the team with respect to their personal lives it doesn't necessarily say anything about the development status of XenForo.

Then there's the so-called lack of updates with regards to XenForo. This is where my Giorgio A. Tsoukalos reference comes into play. People are taking the previous two points as proof that XenForo development is in jeopardy despite multiple assurances by XenForo Ltd. that this is not the case, i.e. they're jumping to conclusions. What about XenForo updates though? Well as it turns out, we are in a black-out at the moment as I showed here. It's also just about par for the course. Maybe they're a bit behind schedule because of the development of the Enhanced Search and Resource Manager add-ons, maybe they're not. At present time though, there's really no need for all of these concerns and I seriously think people are getting worked up over nothing.

So what can the developers say to allay the uncertainty of the community other than "we're working on it"? From what I can tell the doubts and uncertainty are mostly unfounded and the team may not be ready to show off the latest and greatest features of XenForo 1.2.0 (or release the Resource Manager). They're in a bad spot being made worse by the community. On one hand if they say nothing the speculation will most likely continue, on the other if they demo a feature to quell the problem people will undoubtedly start asking when 1.2.0 will be released. Perhaps the first beta wouldn't come out for a few months after that because they're simply not ready yet. Then that token gesture becomes more fuel for the fire that it was meant to put out. If XenForo doesn't suit your needs right now or the lawsuit is a problem for you then find another forum package that does meet your needs and use that. You may end up migrating it to XenForo in the future and it may be a headache, but it's certainly better than definitely getting worked up over it right now.

Top Bottom