[TH] NoForo [Deleted]

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

NoForo by Waindigo (version 1.0.0) - Want XenForo but without the forum? Get NoForo.

Description:

For those of us who have fallen so in love with XenForo that we want to use it for our sites that don't even have forums, NoForo is the answer.

Install the NoForo add-on on your XenForo installation to strip away anything to do with forums, threads and posts, leaving a powerful framework (that runs even faster than XenForo) to build your site from.

NoForo is even compatible with most of the XenForo add-ons that don't affect forum, thread or post features, and if you...

Read more about this resource...

Now this is an interesting concept.

Come to think about it.....
You may have come up with a solution for the CMS....
"Follow me around the room" as I think out loud.............

One could simply buy 2 XenForo copies. One to use at their root domain for a CMS with this add-on and one for a forum at say /forums/ or a sub-domain of their choice. Use the "single sign-on add-on" and you've basically have bridged the gap.

A CMS for XenForo.... XenForo it's self without the forums

Great work.

I've had this in mind for something I wanted to do for a long time.

Has saved me the bother. Nice one :)
Thanks. I've been planning to do it for ages. Was surprisingly easy when I finally got round to it. Let me know if you spot any hidden references to forums anywhere. I think there are quite a few more phrases that can be deleted too if anyone can be bothered finding them all!

Now this is an interesting concept.

Come to think about it.....
You may have come up with a solution for the CMS....

One could simply buy 2 XenForo copies. One to use at their root domain for a CMS with this add-on and one for a forum at say /forums/ or a sub-domain of their choice. Use the "single sign-on add-on" and you've basically have bridged the gap.

A CMS for XenForo.... XenForo it's self without the forums
Why wouldn't you just have a CMS add-on that was part of your core forum software? One license, no bridge, no single sign on. Just a fully integrated package.

This is not a solution for a CMS.

Why wouldn't you just have a CMS add-on that was part of your core forum software? One license, no bridge, no single sign on. Just a fully integrated package.

Difference of opinion

It is a possible solution as at this time there are no traditional CMS that would properly yield the same results as a traditional CMS such as WordPress or joomla for XenForo.

[as usual me plodding carefully towards ... because Jon doesnt EXPLAIN!]
this could solve a site headache of mine because I hate updating html

So I'd have -
- the logo + navbar + breadcrumbs navigation.
Which could be designed with Jake's navtabs with categories of dropdowns.
- Sidebar - which I can add to all pages with all the links and structure I want in one template. YAY!
- Search - yes? depends on Library HINT
- * Content pages - content via XF Pages + WYSWYG editing addon.
Or Library pages if they become searchable HINT even better Whats New?
Can easily insert/ embed media YAY! esp if Library HINT HINT
- Contact page.

I assume no membership unless one wanted to have a private premium access area?
If not nothing on the right of the navbar, and no avatar top of sidebar.

You say no forums but does it still do Categories?
That could be useful for organising site structure - pages or libraries of articles.
A node tree with ToggleMe would create a sitemap, which I could tweak.

This needs the Library to complete it - Search primarily but also Whats New? HINT
This would be a killer combination - Noforo + Nodes As Tabs + Library.

Hehe... I love add-ons that make people think. Credit has to go to Kier and Mike for this add-on really though... that I can remove the primary feature of a piece of software and still retain a wonderful piece of software is testament to their incredible abilities.

It is a possible solution as at this time there are no traditional CMS that would properly yield the same results as a traditional CMS such as WordPress or joomla for XenForo.
That could be useful for organising site structure - pages or libraries of articles.
This IS a solution for a CMS, but only really if you didn't want to run a separate forum. That being said, if I expanded the add-on further (to remove users -- perhaps you thought I'd already done this?) then this could work. Although I am sure there are (or should be) easier ways to accomplish this on a single installation.

lol.. me too! Just tested this out for what I was thinking about and works like a freaking charm :)
Great. Anyone else tried it? I'm being a bit cheeky by posting it because really I could do with a few people to test it out. I'm using this for a client and want to make sure that there are no references to forums anywhere.

So... what does it look like using it?
I'll add some screenshots later. This is not a finished add-on though -- future versions will add more options to remove more primary features of XenForo. Just saying that makes me giggle. I'm glad this isn't a paid add-on otherwise I'd struggle to sleep at night!

[as usual me plodding carefully towards ... because Jon doesnt EXPLAIN!]
I would certainly advise caution in using this add-on. Whatever you do, don't install on a site with an active forum! I think maybe you've over-estimated what this add-on can actually do. It essentially deletes a lot of stuff and then makes a couple of template edits and a few code changes to make things work again. That is it. Nothing is added!

As said above, it is not the add-on that is powerful -- it is the architecture of XenForo. Even though I have removed the forum, it is still possible to install other add-ons.

This would be a killer combination - Noforo + Nodes As Tabs + Library.
Nodes as Tabs, Library and ToggleMe should all work -- although have not tested either of these yet. As should add-ons like TMS, Widgets, Custom BB Code, User/Conversation Essentials, Route Changer and many more.

Some of my add-ons may need tweaking to work with it and I'll be making this a priority in future updates of those add-ons. Some add-ons are too dependent on forums and would likely never work, such as Tapatalk and Social Groups by Waindigo, while Rigel's Social Groups for XenForo should work (just shot myself in the foot there!).

I assume no membership unless one wanted to have a private premium access area?
If not nothing on the right of the navbar, and no avatar top of sidebar.
You say no forums but does it still do Categories?
This add-on does not remove users, categories or pages, or anything related to those features. As discussed above, future versions of this add-on may include options to also remove those features.

This needs the Library to complete it - Search primarily but also Whats New? HINT
Shame on you for hijacking my thread! ;)

Basically Wordpress is working on the same way. There is its engine, then everything is made with the pages... which mix php, html et sql calls (super flexible but an horror in my opinion). Of course there is an article & post manager, but your addon Jon could be something really huge. I love the idea. Thank you !

Jon,

I'm getting an error installing:
Fatal error: Class 'Waindigo_Listener_InitDependencies' not found in /home/sites/deemit.co.uk/public_html/library/Waindigo/NoForo/Listener/InitDependencies.php on line 3

The class does seem to be extending a class that doesn't exist:

class Waindigo_NoForo_Listener_InitDependencies extends Waindigo_Listener_InitDependencies

I am installing it on my site so happy for that to be a demo.

Well done on quick fix. Out at the moment so will install later.

Hi Waindigo,

what about putting the "Comments-script" we have at the "User-Profile-Pages" at the Homepage ?
Would this be easy to do / be possible ?
Easy(ish) to do, but this goes beyond the scope of what this add-on was ever intended to do.

Normal add-ons still work with NoForo, so someone could quite easily build an add-on to add comments to the homepage. At the moment, this add-on just has a similar style homepage to XenForo only without any forums listed, just categories, pages and any other nodes you have installed.

Loving the idea.... I think the arguements for and against CMS are both there. This could definately be the start point for a CMS system, all it would need I think would be an "easier" way to handle pages and it would be 99% there.

Eg chose a template layout, then go to front end and click the bits you want to edit, stick your content in and bam.

Good work Waindigo.

Top Bottom