[TH] Monetize Pro with DFP & Affiliate Link support [Deleted]

I've got an extensive DFP installation, using multiple passbacks, AdExchange, 10 different networks, over 80 direct advertisers, and serving 12 million monthly ad impressions.

Hate to say this, but would I effectively be starting from scratch? Or does this integrate to the existing DFP data I've already got implemented?

Thread title and content targeting is something my direct advertisers have been asking for...intrigued...

This will allow you to add your existing DFP ad units :)

I only see these options for the ads (based on your description):
Choose to sell ad space per click, or per set length of time

What about those of us selling impressions at a specific RPM (CPM)? We also have a minimum buy in, so it would be good to be able to set the lowest number of impressions someone could buy.

Thinking a little more, maybe have built in discounts based on volume buys. Someone that only buys 10,000 impressions would pay $2.00 (whatever you set) but someone that pays 100,000, you could discount it to $1.50 (again, whatever you set it to). Would entice your buyers to buy up more of your direct advertising space.

I'm going to have to play with demo some to get a better feel for what is all offered here. So far, looks like a great start to an integrated ad manager.

Any thoughts on adding the DFP API integration so it can be hands off?

I've got an extensive DFP installation, using multiple passbacks, AdExchange, 10 different networks, over 80 direct advertisers, and serving 12 million monthly ad impressions.

Hate to say this, but would I effectively be starting from scratch? Or does this integrate to the existing DFP data I've already got implemented?

Thread title and content targeting is something my direct advertisers have been asking for...intrigued...

I only see these options for the ads (based on your description):
Choose to sell ad space per click, or per set length of time

What about those of us selling impressions at a specific RPM (CPM)? We also have a minimum buy in, so it would be good to be able to set the lowest number of impressions someone could buy.

Thinking a little more, maybe have built in discounts based on volume buys. Someone that only buys 10,000 impressions would pay $2.00 (whatever you set) but someone that pays 100,000, you could discount it to $1.50 (again, whatever you set it to). Would entice your buyers to buy up more of your direct advertising space.

I'm going to have to play with demo some to get a better feel for what is all offered here. So far, looks like a great start to an integrated ad manager.

These are questions I'd like answers to as well.

I also want to say great job. Even if this doesn't do everything a big board needs right now, I'm happy development has begun, and by a reputable team at that. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Anyone else having a problem getting the "User Criteria" to stick when creating an add?
-------------------------------
Edit:
User Criteria Seems to be Broken on my installation..

When i add user criteria ans save the form reverts to no selection..

Last edited:
We need to decide about buying a product to sell ads directly to our visitors soon. It will run beside the fully equiped professional ad server solution we already use for serving ads from agencies and ad networks. DFP would be too expensive, so switching is no option.

@Mike Creuzer @Jake B. :
Can you give me the cons of your product over the Ad Server product by XenCentral?
XenCentral Ad Server

I know they do not have DFP support and a rather poor support reputation. But it looks like they have more features for full service, direct selling ads.

Has this been tested with browser caching? All ad managers I've tested so far have failed in this area, delivering the same image cached at the users browser instead of ignoring browser caching when enabled and pulling the correct static image, i.e. rotate image per page load.

At present I use the xencentral ad manager, and this is a huge issue for me... if you visit the page, then visit the same page repeatedly, without directly refreshing, you keep getting the same image each time from the browsers cache.

Is this the same for this ad manager? Or have you dealt with an acceptable ignore method for browser caching for the static images?

Reactions: HWS
Anyone else having a problem getting the "User Criteria" to stick when creating an add?
Edit:

Same here...

Edit:

I submitted a ticket yesterday afternoon for this issue as well but haven't received a response yet. I'm guessing probably due to the weekend.

Another thing I've noticed so far that I've either not been able to figure out or the addon doesn't do it allow me to make multiple banners show in one area at a time. It appears I can assign multiple banners to one spot but only one shows at a time.

I submitted a ticket yesterday afternoon for this issue as well but haven't received a response yet. I'm guessing probably due to the weekend.

Another thing I've noticed so far that I've either not been able to figure out or the addon doesn't do it allow me to make multiple banners show in one area at a time. It appears I can assign multiple banners to one spot but only one shows at a time.

I have a long ticket in as well.... As for the rotation of the banners, that can be set in the Advertisement Zones section of Ad manager. When you select a zone, you can set the Advertisement rotation speed as well as maximum advertisements that display in that zone.

ive been without targeted ads all weekend because of the broken criteria.. was hoping for some feed back by now. I know a fix is coming but dang losing money stinks.. Had to revert back to my already established template ads but they pay horrendously.

Last edited:
Same here... I paid full price for the Pro System after buying the lite a month ago... and I've lost a LOT of revenue over the weekend because of this....A LOT!

We just hired a new designer to our team so things have been a bit slow adjusting.

Any thoughts on adding the DFP API integration so it can be hands off?

What specifically would this do? I suppose you'd still need to bring in the data from XenForo if you needed it. Im sure something could be done, Im just not sure what the best approach would be.

Definitely do not need to redo anything, you can actually think of the ad manager as a shell with a bunch of cubby holes in it (and hundreds of features). You can put existing pieces of code in the cubby hole it needs to show up in. So no need to redo anything. DFP code is not generated from the add-on because, without API integration, its not possible. Im still not convinced on what the API would do to greatly benefit, but am all ears.

It can support impressions, the problem with that is that performance would be a rather large concern. Every impression we'd need to run at least 2 queries extra. We could, in theory, just run every 10 seconds or something and make that some form of variable, but then (like Google's even) it won't be accurate to the exact impression. Well actually some ad engines bill in arrears.

This is something we could probably do when our work load subsides or if it is funded. Its a good idea for sure.

I'm getting a 404 error when trying to confirm my email so I try this demo.

Yeah our demo probably was setup too quick. For now Ive validated the account but haven't added any packages in yet. Its on my list.

I also want to say great job. Even if this doesn't do everything a big board needs right now, I'm happy development has begun, and by a reputable team at that. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Appreciate you taking the time to say this, thank you. :)

Edit:

Yeah User Criteria isn't "sticking" and "Devices" settings aren't seeming to work either.

Indeed a bug we will fix, the first reported so far though so not bad.

@Mike Creuzer @Jake B. :
Can you give me the cons of your product over the Ad Server product by XenCentral?
XenCentral Ad Server

I know they do not have DFP support and a rather poor support reputation. But it looks like they have more features for full service, direct selling ads.

The key difference between ours and all others is not only DFP (and quality support :P) but also the fact we are using template conditionals built into the UI. So for more situations you won't need to go into templates and thus more control. Ours has a few minor flaws though, like you cannot assign an ad to multiple locations. But arguably you should not really want to do this. And if you need it in both locations, clicking the add advertisement button and just copying over the settings hopefully isn't a huge hurdle. We are considering adding in a copy button or some linking feature, but are still discussing it.

I would say feature for feature, we have probably just as much. But there's has better stats, and thats a high priority for us.

Has this been tested with browser caching? All ad managers I've tested so far have failed in this area, delivering the same image cached at the users browser instead of ignoring browser caching when enabled and pulling the correct static image, i.e. rotate image per page load.

If we added cache busting, as in a randomly generated ?v=34sdfsf after the image URL, would that work for what you are wanting? If so, its definitely something that could work. It would never cache any image though and request it new every time.

Sorry for the delay in response, I try to do tickets on weekends, but the last few weekends have been rough as we have a couple new hires.

Anyways, this feature was in the lite version but it would seem we forgot to bring it in. Its something we will add in for sure.

What specifically would this do? I suppose you'd still need to bring in the data from XenForo if you needed it. Im sure something could be done, Im just not sure what the best approach would be.

Definitely do not need to redo anything, you can actually think of the ad manager as a shell with a bunch of cubby holes in it (and hundreds of features). You can put existing pieces of code in the cubby hole it needs to show up in. So no need to redo anything. DFP code is not generated from the add-on because, without API integration, its not possible. Im still not convinced on what the API would do to greatly benefit, but am all ears.

Every network 0r large advertiser I deal with purchases advertising per impression. I've got one major advertiser who just purchased 800k impressions over the next two months, and another who's been in play for a few months with 1.2 million. Every ad sale I've made in the past 10 years is based on impressions. DFP does do a good job with this process, which is why I've become well versed in their system.

The failure of DFP is keyword targeting. It appears your product does this with both first-post and thread-title contextual. These are two features I've been seeking for years (as have many of my advertisers, particularly the smaller contracts as they try to get the best value per impression). I've yet to find anyone to accurately pass this data back into DFP.

We could, in theory, just run every 10 seconds or something and make that some form of variable, but then (like Google's even) it won't be accurate to the exact impression. Well actually some ad engines bill in arrears.

I can't speak for others, but I'd be ok with it not being exact. We sell ads as impressions per week.

Top Bottom