[TH] Library [Deleted]

Unfortunately not. Currently the only purpose it serves is a way to database articles for easy viewing with an option of breaking it up into pages. No comments.

Unfortunately not. Currently the only purpose it serves is a way to database articles for easy viewing with an option of breaking it up into pages. No comments.

I see. Thanks. Not really clear on the need to break articles up into pages. Seems easier to scroll down to me than to click. I can see the purpose if you're feeding ads per page.

Well the benefit of serving ads per page using this kind of system is great and sometimes it's necessary to break up an article into different pages so that it flows better but lack of comments really hurts.

@Waindigo, I had to disable the add-on on our big board since it was eating up our resources, and causing the forum to load pages in 20-30 seconds. I thought someone had gotten in and downgraded us to vB. :D

The problem came from a MySQL query that was doing a LEFT JOIN. In slower periods it worked fine, but with our recent jump in traffic, it tipped us over the edge.

I am not able to grab that query, but it was a LEFT JOIN that tied a thread ID to the article, or vice versa. The Library only holds our rules, and I installed it only so that staff could edit the two pages of rules rather than figure out the confusing "pages" in XF, which is an admin feature. It is not like a lot of members read the rules anyway. :laugh: But, if that query isn't that important or could be tweaked, we could probably bring Library back online.

Beyond the performance issue we had, though, it's been a great add-on! No other complaints, and the staff finds it easy to use.

I don't believe so. Is that a separate add-on? Or is it a feature I may have enabled accidentally?
It is an old feature that was removed and placed in a separate add-on because it was a bit problematic. I think the problems you are experiencing are due to some leftover code. I will see if I can get rid of it.

The problem came from a MySQL query that was doing a LEFT JOIN. In slower periods it worked fine, but with our recent jump in traffic, it tipped us over the edge.
The only query like this happens on the article/thread edit page, so should be relatively uncommon and shouldn't cause a server overload like this. How do you know it is that query that is causing the problem?

Last edited:
The only query like this happens on the article/thread edit page, so should be relatively uncommon and shouldn't cause a server overload like this. How do you know it is that query that is causing the problem?

I was watching it stack up in the mytop script. And nobody has edited those articles in a few months. I would probably recognize the full query if I saw it.

I wish I had been able to capture it in mytop but we had to get the forum running properly. :(

Last edited:
Are there any plans to make improvements to this add on?

After using mine quite a bit (and loving it :giggle:) I'd like to suggest a few possible improvements:

1) Show on forum index page when new articles are posted either with a NEW icon or by using the default forum node icons as well as show any new additions on the recent activity list.

2) Show how many page views each article has had and when it was created.

3) Ability for the admin to organize the order of how the articles show on the library index page.

Thanks,

Bob

If you are interested in contributing to any of these improvements, please send me a PM.

I would be interested in contributing!

Some things I would like to see:
More thread like layout with last post icon, last post date, etc. It would remove the need for a forum within a library since the library can now be a standalone piece.

Comments loaded underneath container of the article much like in Xen Media Gallery or XenMedio

Import/move forum thread into Library and keep the comments but allow author/moderator to edit the article itself like adding pages, etc.

Sidebar with "More articles by this user" with ratings, recent articles, etc very much like the resource manager.

Waindigo updated Library by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.3.9 released

Bug fixes:
  • Article and article page author user details are now "prepared", allowing custom user fields to be accessed in the templates etc.
  • Fixed bug that user's profile shows 'Viewing unknown page' when viewing library or articles.
  • Fixed bug that library node is not highlighted in Quick Navigation Menu in library or articles.
  • Fixed bug that meta/open-graph information not included in template for library or articles.
  • Fixed bug that body classes not included in...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I was watching it stack up in the mytop script. And nobody has edited those articles in a few months. I would probably recognize the full query if I saw it.

I wish I had been able to capture it in mytop but we had to get the forum running properly. :(
Were you able to track this bug down? All I can offer is that once I disabled this add-on, the query went away and the database congestion ended immediately.

I just want to know if i should keep it installed or just uninstall it. We were only using it for our forum policies, and I only chose it since it was easy for staff to modify documents and did not need admin permissions. I can find some other way, not a big deal, you have other add-ones that need your attention. ;)

Were you able to track this bug down? All I can offer is that once I disabled this add-on, the query went away and the database congestion ended immediately.

I just want to know if i should keep it installed or just uninstall it. We were only using it for our forum policies, and I only chose it since it was easy for staff to modify documents and did not need admin permissions. I can find some other way, not a big deal, you have other add-ones that need your attention. ;)
I have improved the code slightly. Let me know if it helps.

The Thread Thumbnails add-on is incredibly customisable and can be controlled on a per-node basis, so you could very easily set it to just work on your Library nodes.

Is this still supported? I can see options to toggle sticky article thumbnails, I found a Waindigo/Library folder under the Extend directory, but nothing letting me specify a URL at article creation/edit time.

Top Bottom