[TH] Install and Upgrade [Deleted]

You mean like https://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-on-install-upgrade.960/ but without sending a list of all his add-ons to your server, and having an ACP message telling him to create an account at your server so it will also send the qty of his members to your server?
Whether you agree with it or not, @Jon W is not breaking any resource guidelines with this resource or any other. I would suggest if you don't like what this add-on is doing, you simply don't use it and allow the users of Jon's add-on to ask questions and receive support about this add-on as is its purpose.

you simply don't use it and allow the users of Jon's add-on to ask questions and receive support about this add-on as is its purpose.
So if Jon W responds to my post and asks me a question, I shouldn't answer him?
Anyways, it's Wednesday evening here and I spend that time with my kids before their bedtime. Perhaps you can lock this thread until I come back to it later. Thanks.

This is Jon's thread. Why would Chris lock it and prevent others from receiving support?

Seems the other thread was locked. ;)

This is really like kindergarten here.

Now, if ******* would create a similar add-on like Waindigo had to offer (removes the callback from all ******* add-ons) everything would be fine. :D
https://waindigo.org/threads/*******-installer-by-waindigo.251/

Thank god, Jon was brought back on the right track and already removed this very unethical add-on he created.

Seems the other thread was locked. ;)

This is really like kindergarten here.

Now, if ******* would create a similar add-on like Waindigo had to offer (removes the callback from all ******* add-ons) everything would be fine. :D
https://waindigo.org/threads/*******-installer-by-waindigo.251/

Thank god, Jon was brought back on the right track and already removed this very unethical add-on he created.
This add-on had a perfectly legitimate function, which was to allow the add-on to be installed on a localhost for development purposes. It would also be perfectly legitimate for someone to release an add-on to stop my add-on from doing any callbacks. What would be entirely unethical would be to release an add-on that removed branding, since this would be against the license agreement. But since no-one bothers about that anyway...

This add-on had a perfectly legitimate function, which was to allow the add-on to be installed on a localhost for development purposes. It would also be perfectly legitimate for someone to release an add-on to stop my add-on from doing any callbacks. What would be entirely unethical would be to release an add-on that removed branding, since this would be against the license agreement. But since no-one bothers about that anyway...

I personally find add-ons created just for the purpose to change the default copyright behavior of add-ons from other developers VERY unethical. Its the decision of the other developer only where he wants his add-on to be installed.

I know you think similar because otherwise you would not have removed it.

This is a door no developer with at least some ethics should have opened.

I personally find add-ons created just for the purpose to change the default copyright behavior of add-ons from other developers VERY unethical. Its the decision of the other developer only where he wants his add-on to be installed.

I know you think similar because otherwise you would not have removed it.

This is a door no developer with at least some ethics should have opened.
The add-on did nothing to copyright and was perfectly legitimate in its purpose.

That it could be used for illegal purposes was the reason that it was removed and rightly so. It was a poor decision to release that add-on and it was quickly removed.

Jon W updated Install and Upgrade by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.4.4 released

New features:
  • Added ability to dismiss broadcast notices on admin home page. Some notices will be sent as undismissable (see below).
  • Added option to override undismissable notices and allow them to be dismissed (this option is disabled by default). Disabling this option will undismiss dismissed undismissable notices (say that 10 times!).
  • Added ability to disable all callbacks in this add-on from the config.php file. Just add...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Jon W updated Install and Upgrade by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.4.5 released

New features:
  • Added option to "Check for outdated non-Waindigo add-ons" (enabled by default). Disable this option to only send list of Waindigo add-ons to Waindigo servers. If you want to disable this option before you install this add-on, just add $config['options']['waindigo_installUpgrade_waindigo_installUpgrade_checkNonWaindigoAddOns'] = false; to your config.php file.
  • Added option to "Allow member count to be sent to Waindigo servers"...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Added option to "Allow member count to be sent to Waindigo servers" (enabled by default). Disable this option to never send your member count to Waindigo servers.

I gotta ask.... why?

Well I kinda thought that was obvious really - the bit I quoted - why send the member count of a site back to your server.
Just checking. It wasn't obvious. The member count is sent for users who have linked their waindigo.org account to check it against their subscription level so that branding can be removed automatically. If a user hasn't paid for branding removal or has paid for a Gold Subscription (which allows for unlimited users) then the member count is not required.

Just checking. It wasn't obvious. The member count is sent for users who have linked their waindigo.org account to check it against their subscription level so that branding can be removed automatically. If a user hasn't paid for branding removal or has paid for a Gold Subscription (which allows for unlimited users) then the member count is not required.
Okay, so I can see the point sort of for the Gold Subscription, but if they've paid for branding removal... is that based upon membercount too? (Not really seeing how Member count matters, if I'm honest... just because a site has 10K members, doesn't mean 10K are active.)

Okay, so I can see the point sort of for the Gold Subscription, but if they've paid for branding removal... is that based upon membercount too? (Not really seeing how Member count matters, if I'm honest... just because a site has 10K members, doesn't mean 10K are active.)
It is just the measure we use for deciding how much to charge. We want to open it up to as many people as possible, so this means that we ask those with larger sites that have been around longer to pay a little more than those who are just starting out. You can see all our pricing here:
https://waindigo.org/account/upgrades/

I think Jon thinks, the more members a community has, the more Money you can get, the more you can pay?
Anyway - for me it is also not nice, when I read that Plugin developers are not only checking valid Xenforo licences, and also transfering sensitive data to their Server.

You know data is the Gold of the time right now.
I don`t know what statistics else are checked or transmitted - I am just unconfident by reading that plugin developers are allowed to do what they think!

But Xenforo seems to like making Business too - otherwise it would protect their users by making TOS where is written, that nothing else is allowed to Transfer then the licence check,...

my opinion

Also Jon could you tell me what directory this add-on will attempt to upload the addon-Tapatalk.xml file for the Tapatalk add-on or in general where the .xml files get unzipped to? I am still having permission problems with those.

Top Bottom