[TH] Install and Upgrade [Deleted]

This add-on still has some great functionality even if you can't use the upload from ZIP feature because your server permissions are not correctly set up.

There isn't a definitive list of directories that you need to change permissions for because different add-ons require access to different directories. XenForo add-ons are designed to be uploaded manually, so there are no restrictions placed on this. Also, some servers do not require any permission changes because they are already set up to allow PHP files to write files and create directories wherever they like.

Same problem here for me. There has to be some directories where one has to set chmod permissions, but which of them?

Install and upgrade is a really great idea, good work, but I nearly can't install any add-on becaues of problems with CHMOD permissions. I've set any directory I can imagine to 777, and still problems with it.

e.g. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/quick-reply-preview.756/ :

So I have to open FTP program to set permissions (where?).

It's much easier for me to NOT use Install and Upgrade to install add-ons. I don't want to say "bad work", really like Install and Upgrade - but why do these errors appear only for some users, not all? There has to be a solution, never saw problems like that in 10 years of board administration and hardcore-modding since phpBB ~2.0.5.
I think these are the directories you need to consider in most cases: js, library, styles, install, internal_data ... and of course all their sub-directories. That will cover most add-ons, except Tapatalk, sitemap and a few others.

The simple solution is to give permissions to everybody ("chmod 777"), but there are better (i.e. slightly more secure) ways of doing this.

Instead of chmod, you might be able to use ACL, if that is installed on the server. That way you can better give permissions to specific OS users.

In a typical installation, it's specifically the OS user running the web server (often called www-data or apache (for Apache HTTPD) on Linux systems) which needs to have read-write access on all these directories and files (and additionally execute permissions on the directories).

If you are using php-fpm, then it's possible to have a different user run the PHP scripts, in which case it's that user that will need to have the permissions. This is what I do, personally. The php-fpm user has elevated permissions.

Another solution, which I only know about in theory, is that you can configure your web server so that certain PHP files are run by a certain user with elevated permissions. So you might be able to use e.g. the FTP user you use to manually install add-ons for this. Then configure the web server so that the XF admin.php script is run by this user. I think for Apache web servers, one such mechanism is called suExec. There might be others. Sorry that this is a bit vague, but others with actual experience on this might be able to explain it better.

Waindigo updated Install and Upgrade by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.1.3 released

New features:
  • Added 'Rebuild XenForo' tool, which will re-download all the files for the latest version of XenForo and rebuild master caches, to clean up any accidental and/or malicious changes to master files or data.
Bug fixes:
  • Added friendly error message if temporary directory is unable to be created.
  • Fixed bug that temporary files are not always being cleaned up.
  • Improved installer and recently uploaded XML checker for other Waindigo add-ons....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Waindigo updated Install and Upgrade by Waindigo with a new update entry:

Version 1.1.4 released

New features:
  • Added option to enable/disable Auto-Complete when installing/importing/upgrading from a file on the server.
  • Added option to make copyright notice links open in a new browser window.
  • Added option to bypass XenForo license URL check when upgrading XenForo version, to allow for non-matching licenses to be used on development servers only.
Bug fixes:
  • Fixed some bugs that caused this add-on not to work in XenForo 1.0 and XenForo 1.1....

Read the rest of this update entry...

tried upgrading from 1.1.2a to 1.1.4 as well as uninstall 1.1.2a and install 1.1.4 and both gave me error

The provided file was not a valid XML file. Please provide a valid XML file.

using Xenforo 1.3.2

tried upgrading from 1.1.2a to 1.1.4 as well as uninstall 1.1.2a and install 1.1.4 and both gave me error using Xenforo 1.3.2
Have you tried installing the add-on in the conventional way (i.e. upload the files using FTP then installing using the XML file in the install package)?

Not sure why it is not working as we try and make it work, but unfortunately we can't support older versions of the add-on.

Hey love this add-on, keep having a few add-ons that still stand as outdated (including this add-on), is there something I need to do?

Hey love this add-on, keep having a few add-ons that still stand as outdated (including this add-on), is there something I need to do?
We're still refining the algorithm for checking whether add-ons are outdated or not, so please bear with us. The next update for this add-on will include an option to ignore some add-ons from being checked, so this should help a bit.

Getting the below error when I click on Upgrade Xenforo: I tried to configure PHP again but don't see that option.

Code:
Server Error

Unable to Connect to ssl://xenforo.com:443. Error #18765728: Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?
1.Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect() in Zend/Http/Client.php at line 973
2.Zend_Http_Client->request() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Model/InstallUpgrade.php at line 365
3.Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Model_InstallUpgrade->checkForUrl() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/ControllerHelper/InstallUpgrade.php at line 47
4.Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_ControllerHelper_InstallUpgrade->checkForUrl() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/ControllerAdmin/Upgrade.php at line 165
5.Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_ControllerAdmin_Upgrade->actionGetLicenseKey() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
6.XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
7.XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/treasure/public_html/community/admin.php at line 13
[/CODE

After updating this add-on and doing a file health check I'm getting the following:

library/Waindigo/Listener/InitDependencies/20140612.php
File does not contain expected contents.

hi since the last update , The Addon is showing that your addon is outdated .. but i have updatet the last version.

Last edited:
Getting the below error when I click on Upgrade Xenforo: I tried to configure PHP again but don't see that option.

Code:
Server Error

Unable to Connect to ssl://xenforo.com:443. Error #18765728: Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?
1.Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect() in Zend/Http/Client.php at line 973
2.Zend_Http_Client->request() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/Model/InstallUpgrade.php at line 365
3.Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_Model_InstallUpgrade->checkForUrl() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/ControllerHelper/InstallUpgrade.php at line 47
4.Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_ControllerHelper_InstallUpgrade->checkForUrl() in Waindigo/InstallUpgrade/ControllerAdmin/Upgrade.php at line 165
5.Waindigo_InstallUpgrade_ControllerAdmin_Upgrade->actionGetLicenseKey() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
6.XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
7.XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/treasure/public_html/community/admin.php at line 13
[/CODE
This is a server issue. You will need to enable SSL on your PHP installation.

@Waindigo unfortunately the latest release hasn't fixed the file health check error

library/Waindigo/Listener/InitDependencies/20140612.php
File does not contain expected contents.

Any advice?

Top Bottom