Text Sent to Banned Users

Steve Freides

Spammers currently receive wording that I created, which includes things like {username} and {BoardTitle} that are not being evaluated - the user receives the literal "{username}".

1. Please point me to whatever I might need to do in order that these expressions are evaluated.

2. Please point me to the place in the ACP menus where I can find this text and edit it.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Here's the email I received from a recently banned user:

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this week I tried to register for a forum account. I registered with username <removed> using my email <removed>. I was then told to wait for approval, and found out just now that I was banned with the following message, pasted exactly:

"You have been banned for the following reason: {username}, Your post has been removed from {boardTitle}. If you're not sure what {boardTitle} allows, please read our FAQ. If you still believe the removal of your post was not correct, please reply or use the contact form: {contactUrl}."

Check the phrase I mentioned or this one you_have_been_banned_for_following_reason_x.

I suspect they have been edited to add tokens which are not available to be used.

@Brogan, thank you.

1. Is the only way to find these phrases to search for them? I was able to find the first one you gave by searching on it, but my problem is that if you hadn't told me what to search for, I still wouldn't be able to edit it.

2. See attached screenshot - what I am doing wrong?

-S-Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.46.02 AM.webp

Phrases can be searched by entering the text.

If searching by title use the filter option.

Phrases don't support tokens like that - you can't use them.

Phrases can be searched by entering the text.
A search on "your post has been removed" doesn't find anything. I'm still unclear as to what I can search on.

As I mentioned, I can search on what you gave me, which seems to be the "title" but how would I know that the title of what I'm looking for is "spam_cleaner_ban_reason?"

Filter what, where, how? I see Appearances -> Lanuages at the top of my screen shot, but if I'm in the ACP and I know enough to look under Options, Appearance, how do I get from there to where I ended up when I used the title you gave me.

Last but not least, I get now that I can't use things like {Username} where I have it - I'll change that.

-S-

Search the phrases - my screenshot shows what the input screen looks like.
I do not see any option, on my screen shot, to go one level deeper as you show in your screen shot.

You are in Appearance, Languages. I am in Setup, Options, Appearance.

Ah, you are in Appearance, not Setup -> Options -> Appearance.

Ah, Appearance from the main ACP menu. OK, now at least we're looking at the same thing. In the 5+ years I've been doing this, I don't think I've ever gone into the Appearance part of the main ACP menu before. I don't know that I ever would have made the connection between stored values for specific phrases and "Appearance" but now at least I can find this.

Thank you.

-S-

Top Bottom