Lack of interest Text editor notices

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

RobinHood

There's a definite problem in the HYS forum, of people replying to threads asking for support, I'm sure this type issue could be encountered on many sites.

Reddit has a really neat feature where the editor actually displays a notice to the user before they focus the editor and compose their comment.

It serves as great last ditch attempt to send some message, information or reminder to the user to take into consideration as they write their reply.

This could be useful on XF, with notices defined on a per node basis.

This is kind of already implemented on the quick post feature with the title text, as shown here:

At its most basic level, this could be extended to the message reply box with the placeholder text being definable for existing threads in that forum.

A more fully featured and high impact version of this might allow full html or image notices that disappear on focus, more like the reddit implementation, as shown here:

Last edited:
Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Alternatively you could have dedicated notices above or below the text box, a la Stack Exchange.

I do quite like the reddit placeholder notice though, as you almost certainly have to read it before focussing the editor. It just constrains the info or message you want to send, and means you can't have links.

I dunno, every time I come here, it tells me to write my reply, and I always end up writing my reply. Seems pretty effective to me!

Yes, and this place would probably be a ghost town.

I am a simple man, I just follow the instructions presented to me by the websites I visit on the internet.

Top Bottom