1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug Text editor and toolbar missing from MSN browser

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by WoodiE, Jan 23, 2014.

1. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

I have a small forum running XenForo 1.2.1 and a user that has recently upgraded his computer to Windows 8.1 and is using MSN Internet to access email and also uses the built-in browser of MSN Internet.

He can surf the site with no issue, but when he wants to reply to a thread or create a new thread the only fields that seem to work is the Subject and Poll fields. The main box to type his message is a lighter color and the entire toolbar is missing as well (see attached image).

Downloading Google Chrome, the user can access the site fully with no problems. However he'd rather use the MSN browser as that's primarily what he uses day to day.

Any suggestions?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've never heard of MSN Internet, are you talking Internet Explorer? If so, upgrade you site, fixes were introduced to alleviate IE11 issues.
  3. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

4. Jeremy

According to that Wikipedia article, it is built on top of Internet Explorer, so my post should still be applicable. :) Thanks for the link, tho. Always good to learn something new.
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I don't think it's based on any modern version of IE though

IE9 and upwards only run on Windows 7 and above, so for it to work on everything from XP and upwards it can't be anything 'modern'.

I'm surprised to see that MSN Explorer is still going TBH.

I'd have thought that MSN Explorer is likely to be less used than Dolphin browser on Android, which also doesn't have the rich text editor and I think this is termed as a 'browser issue'. I suspect it'll be the same for the MSN browser.
  6. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

It's at least IE9, judging by the rounded borders

Presumably it just embeds whatever IE version is installed

The issue is likely simply in the handling of the user agent string, especially given this in the wikipedia article:

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've flagged it to Mike and moved it to bugs.
  8. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

Luke that is correct and my mistake. It's not MSN Internet but MSN Explorer. Some of you might be to young to remember this but back in the day a company called AOL was how most people got online. MSN was also a competitor to AOL. I'm actually surprised either are still around but they are in fact still around. I know a few people who still use the AOL or MSN program (mostly older people) but nonetheless they are still out there.

Jeremy, I believe you fit the description above... to young to know about MSN Explorer. haha

It's not just a simple as upgrading the browser. Even if it was, I've already mentioned this user is running Windows 8.1, which also pre-ships with IE11. Can't get much newer than that. ;)

Thanks Borgan, much appreciated.
  9. Jeremy

It also doesn't help that I've always owned a Mac. But I meant upgrade XenForo, you said you were on 1.2.2?
    Ryan_ and Ernest L. Defoe like this.
  10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Actually yeah, I missed that - if it's based on IE11, there are problems in 1.2.2 and earlier (IIRC) with it and the editor.
  11. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

No, I'm running 1.2.1. I will upgrade to the latest XenForo version tonight and see if that makes any difference.
  12. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

Upgraded to XF 1.2.3 and had the user try again and it appears all is working now. Thanks Mike!
    Mike and Chris D like this.