Not a bug Text editor and toolbar missing from MSN browser

WoodiE

I have a small forum running XenForo 1.2.1 and a user that has recently upgraded his computer to Windows 8.1 and is using MSN Internet to access email and also uses the built-in browser of MSN Internet.

He can surf the site with no issue, but when he wants to reply to a thread or create a new thread the only fields that seem to work is the Subject and Poll fields. The main box to type his message is a lighter color and the entire toolbar is missing as well (see attached image).

Downloading Google Chrome, the user can access the site fully with no problems. However he'd rather use the MSN browser as that's primarily what he uses day to day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

msn-issue.webp

I've never heard of MSN Internet, are you talking Internet Explorer? If so, upgrade you site, fixes were introduced to alleviate IE11 issues.

According to that Wikipedia article, it is built on top of Internet Explorer, so my post should still be applicable. :) Thanks for the link, tho. Always good to learn something new.

According to that Wikipedia article, it is built on top of Internet Explorer, so my post should still be applicable. :) Thanks for the link, tho. Always good to learn something new.
I don't think it's based on any modern version of IE though

System requirements and recommendations

Minimum
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8, Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3.
  • Windows-compatible computer with 500-MHz or faster processor
  • 128 MB or more of RAM
  • Up to 320 MB of hard disk space during installation and up to 180 MB after installation
  • 28.8-Kbps or faster modem or other existing Internet connection (Broadband service requires available USB or Ethernet port on the main computer, not on a hub or serial connection through other devices.)
  • 256-color VGA or higher resolution graphics card
  • CD drive (if installing from CD)

Recommended
  • 800-MHz or faster processor
  • 256 MB or more of RAM
  • Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
  • SVGA or higher resolution graphics card
  • 800 x 600 screen resolution
  • 16-bit sound card and speakers
http://membercenter.msn.com/download.aspx?lm=en-us

IE9 and upwards only run on Windows 7 and above, so for it to work on everything from XP and upwards it can't be anything 'modern'.

I'm surprised to see that MSN Explorer is still going TBH.

I'd have thought that MSN Explorer is likely to be less used than Dolphin browser on Android, which also doesn't have the rich text editor and I think this is termed as a 'browser issue'. I suspect it'll be the same for the MSN browser.

I don't think it's based on any modern version of IE though

http://membercenter.msn.com/download.aspx?lm=en-us

IE9 and upwards only run on Windows 7 and above, so for it to work on everything from XP and upwards it can't be anything 'modern'.

I'm surprised to see that MSN Explorer is still going TBH.

I'd have thought that MSN Explorer is likely to be less used than Dolphin browser on Android, which also doesn't have the rich text editor and I think this is termed as a 'browser issue'. I suspect it'll be the same for the MSN browser.

It's at least IE9, judging by the rounded borders

Presumably it just embeds whatever IE version is installed

The issue is likely simply in the handling of the user agent string, especially given this in the wikipedia article:

MSN version 10.5 contains minor improvements to the software; most notably it disguises itself as a newer version of browser to bypass outdated browser warning messages from some websites.

Luke that is correct and my mistake. It's not MSN Internet but MSN Explorer. Some of you might be to young to remember this but back in the day a company called AOL was how most people got online. MSN was also a competitor to AOL. I'm actually surprised either are still around but they are in fact still around. I know a few people who still use the AOL or MSN program (mostly older people) but nonetheless they are still out there.

Jeremy, I believe you fit the description above... to young to know about MSN Explorer. haha

It's not just a simple as upgrading the browser. Even if it was, I've already mentioned this user is running Windows 8.1, which also pre-ships with IE11. Can't get much newer than that. ;)

I've flagged it to Mike and moved it to bugs.

Thanks Borgan, much appreciated.

Actually yeah, I missed that - if it's based on IE11, there are problems in 1.2.2 and earlier (IIRC) with it and the editor.

Top Bottom