Third party Text being deleted after @ tagging person on Android + Chrome + Mobile

askandy

Affected version
This issue happens on Mobile (Android, Samsung S6), using Chrome -- though I have not tested on other Android browsers. We did a test on an iPhone, and the below problem does not occur.

If you @ tag someone on a reply of an existing thread, then try to type something immediately after the Xenforo auto added space, the editor erases nearly all of the prior text that you just typed.

If you place an additional space after the Xenforo auto-added space, the problem does not happen. But since Xenforo already adds a space, there shouldn't be a need to manually add a second space.

I can reproduce this issue on the Test & Examples forum here on Xenforo.com, plus I've tested it on our site using the default style -- confirming it's not related to any special code in our Style/Theme.

Please see the following MP4 video for a demonstration of the issue (I've uploaded it to WeTransfer since it's too big to upload):

If you need me to send the vid file a different way, please advise. It is easier to clearly understand the problem by looking at the video.

This isn't a general issue, unfortunately, and it actually relates specifically to the keyboard that is in use.

Do you know which keyboard is in use in the video? I think it might be the Samsung keyboard. In which case, if there are no viable upgrades for that, we can only recommend using a third party keyboard. To the best of my knowledge, GBoard from Google is a very worthy replacement (and often the standard keyboard in use on most Android devices these days).

Specifically, the keyboard's auto complete is what replaces the text. You'll notice the suggestions above the keyboard as the text is typed, and the underlined letters after the tag is selected. Most software keyboards recognise that an input has happened and clear the suggestion. This particular keyboard (or version of keyboard) doesn't clear the suggestion and automatically selects it, replacing the inserted tag.

I have previously attempted to workaround it, but as it appears to be a bug within the keyboard itself, I have been unable to.

@Chris D - Thanks for that explanation.

You're exactly right, pertaining to the keyboard (using the default Samsung keyboard) as well as the behavior (the underline letters).

I've installed Gboard, tested and can confirm the issue doesn't occur using GBoard.

Thanks for your help on this!

Top Bottom