• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fixed  term for personal discussions vs conversations

Boothby

I'm not saying this is a bug, anyway, it confused me and I want to report that.

On that privacy settings page we have:

People Who May...
[] Start personal discussions with you:

And on Contact Details we have:

Privacy Settings
[] Accept personal conversation invitations from...
These 2 settings are the same but have different labels. The official term now is "conversation"(?). The internal variable name is allow_send_personal_discussion.

Can we have only one term in use, to not confuse people, also for internal variable notations, phrase names and so on?

F

Floris

Since they both are about the same thing, and both are self-explanatory, I don't see why it would be confusing.

James

As for the [Confused Me] prefix, I think that the OP is stating the "discussions" should be renamed to "conversations" or vice versa.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
Various systems have been renamed in the course of producing this software, some of those renames are not yet complete.

Personal discussions -> Personal conversations is an ongoing process.

James

Various systems have been renamed in the course of producing this software, some of those renames are not yet complete.

Personal discussions -> Personal conversations is an ongoing process.
Will the variable be renamed too? allow_send_personal_discussion -> allow_send_personal_conversation/convo

Grover

Thread vs Discussion or Topic

Since they both are about the same thing, and both are self-explanatory, I don't see why it would be confusing.
I get your point and I don't find it confusing myself, but it can be for others. Thinking about novice users on my board. Thereby it is not...

It's definitely an inconsistency and should be fixed :)
I agree. For consistency's sake, they should probably be the same.
... consistent and this should always be corrected.

THat resparks the conversation then about calling a thread a discussion and the button still being called a thread, etc.
Indeed, this is a good point. Overall... I always hated the word 'thread'... on vBulletin and every other board that uses this phrase. When there was not a Dutch translation available for vBulletin at the time... my dutch members kept asking me 'what is a thread'? No clue. I mean when you translate it you get : 'draadje' (which means so much as wire/line (and thread), but people in The Netherlands never ever talk about a 'draadje' when it comes to discussions. Apparently, it is common language/knowledge for English speaking people using a web board(?). As a Dutch person I find it still a bit of a weird word to use on forums... I much prefer [New Discussion] or [New Topic].

James

I get the feeling that if you do want to make it a social forum we should move away from thread and start displaying more relative terms like discussion :p

It's not a big issue for me though :)