Temporarily stopping the emails

ForestForTrees

I have invited some of my users in my old forum to test out XenForo demo. One of my users wrote the following about the email notifications of new posts in watched threads:
Enrique said:
That is a good feature. I like that. I wonder if that is a default that can be turned off though. For example, let's say that I'm really active for some time, then life gets busy and I want to stop getting all those emails. Can I turn them off with one checkbox somewhere?

My own investigations suggest that the only way to stop the flow of email notifications if one is taking some time off is to manually unwatch all of the threads, one by one from here:
http://xenforo.com/community/watched/threads
Aside from this being time consuming, when the person wants to come back, he no longer has a record of which threads he is interested in because he has unwatched all of them. In general I really love the software and I don't mean to be negative, but from my perspective, this seems decidedly suboptimal.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Hoping to make a final decision by Friday...

I wonder if ticking off the "Replies to a watched thread" box at http://xenforo.com/community/account/alert-preferences has any effect?
Good idea. This worked. Of course, it has the downside of preventing non-email alerts in addition to preventing email alerts, but I think that it will still be good enough for Enrique. Perhaps when I purchase (looking likely), I'll submit this as a small feature request. It would be nice to have a second column in the alter preferences page so that for each event, you can decide whether you get an on-site alert, an email alert, or both. It does take a long time to refine software, though, and with the furious pace of development, I'm sure that the devs have an awful lot of other things on their minds.

I also tried unchecking
  • Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
    • and receive email notifications of replies
in Settings | Preferences, but that just prevented me from watching new pages rather than stemming the flow of emails from the already watched threads.

That would definitely be a good solution to the problem. Let me know when you submit that feature request as I would definitely support it. Actually, it's probably already around here somewhere...

Top Bottom