Tapatalk's a mess

dutchbb

To say it the way a certain candidate would say it, Tapatalk's a mess. I actually am a paying customer, the only reason for that is some of our members, for some odd reason, seem to like it. So I installed it, soon noticing the app, without informing the website owner, through member's posts, will start spamming your forum messages with 'signatures' like

"Send from my iPhone with Tapatalk"

I'm sure some of the admins here have experienced it, it's literally in every message the user posts. Obviously very annoying for everyone and qualifying as spammy behavior IMHO. I have spend quite some time removing this spam from the database, but there may still be some left, since they spend the time to create a phrase for about every mobile device brand they could think of. So to stop the madness and still offer it to the members that want it, I needed to buy a paid admin account with a monthly fee of $10 just to get rid of it.

Now to hopefully at least get that money back, I integrated the app with Google's AdMob which you can do in the TT control panel. If this covers the subscription costs then I'm content with it. However aside from me disliking this business model, their support is the worst I have ever experienced. I'm not even exaggerating. Most of the time there's simply no response, if there is one (one email actually took months to get a reply) but if a response finally comes, it's as amateurish as you can imagine. There is no ticket system, and nobody there seems to care. So at least you expect they have some online articles or tuts, nope barely anything. Just figure it out, we can't be bothered to write that s*

I get the feeling they've paid a company to setup sort of an automatic system so they do not have to do much and just watch the money flowing in.

As said, what surprises me the most is that some people actually like using this app. I mean it's absolutely horrible to use, I've read this from others as well. It has actually gotten worse with every upgrade. For a while they upgraded so often, you needed to relearn how to work with it almost every month.

But currently it's stable and clear in how it works I hear you think... so stop whining about it. Besides your job as an admin is to make sure your visitors are happy and get what they want. Well you did that, so well done and now stop complaining. Fair enough, but my point here is that XenForo actually has a 'mobile skin' build in for mobile devices that looks just like the desktop version of your forum, adapts perfectly to every screen size, is more flexible and best of all, there is no spam and it comes 100% free with each XF license. I always browse forums with a standard browser on iPhone, iPad, etc. TT is installed just so I know it still works for members after I needed to upgrade it for about the thousandth time in a year, but would never want to install and use this nightmare of an app for personal use.

My recommendation to admins that are just setting up their first forum is that they explain to their members how they can best view the forum on a mobile device, which requires no app, no installation, and actually looks like the site they see on their PC or laptop. (y)

/rant

Oh and in before

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I think users can edit the signature? It is just like the Apple's 'Sent from my iPhone' message :).

As you're paying (and thus allowed to remove the sent from) message, I guess you could use the word filter and just filter these messages out automatically without having to manually remove each one? Or run a query to remove them from the database?

Last edited:
To say it the way a certain candidate would say it, Tapatalk's a mess. I actually am a paying customer, the only reason for that is some of our members, for some odd reason, seem to like it. So I installed it, soon noticing the app, without informing the website owner, through member's posts, will start spamming your forum messages with 'signatures' like

"Send from my iPhone with Tapatalk"

I'm sure some of the admins here have experienced it, it's literally in every message the user posts. Obviously very annoying for everyone and qualifying as spammy behavior IMHO. I have spend quite some time removing this spam from the database, but there may still be some left, since they spend the time to create a phrase for about every mobile device brand they could think of. So to stop the madness and still offer it to the members that want it, I needed to buy a paid admin account with a monthly fee of $10 just to get rid of it.

Now to hopefully at least get that money back, I integrated the app with Google's AdMob which you can do in the TT control panel. If this covers the subscription costs then I'm content with it. However aside from me disliking this business model, their support is the worst I have ever experienced. I'm not even exaggerating. Most of the time there's simply no response, if there is one (one email actually took months to get a reply) but if a response finally comes, it's as amateurish as you can imagine. There is no ticket system, and nobody there seems to care. So at least you expect they have some online articles or tuts, nope barely anything. Just figure it out, we can't be bothered to write that s*

I get the feeling they've paid a company to setup sort of an automatic system so they do not have to do much and just watch the money flowing in.

As said, what surprises me the most is that some people actually like using this app. I mean it's absolutely horrible to use, I've read this from others as well. It has actually gotten worse with every upgrade. For a while they upgraded so often, you needed to relearn how to work with it almost every month.

But currently it's stable and clear in how it works I hear you think... so stop whining about it. Besides your job as an admin is to make sure your visitors are happy and get what they want. Well you did that, so well done and now stop complaining. Fair enough, but my point here is that XenForo actually has a 'mobile skin' build in for mobile devices that looks just like the desktop version of your forum, adapts perfectly to every screen size, is more flexible and best of all, there is no spam and it comes 100% free with each XF license. I always browse forums with a standard browser on iPhone, iPad, etc. TT is installed just so I know it still works for members after I needed to upgrade it for about the thousandth time in a year, but would never want to install and use this nightmare of an app for personal use.

My recommendation to admins that are just setting up their first forum is that they explain to their members how they can best view the forum on a mobile device, which requires no app, no installation, and actually looks like the site they see on their PC or laptop. (y)

/rant

Oh and in before

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi dutchbb - I am reviewing this case by reading thru the conversation you had with our support team. We notice that you would like to setup an Admob Ad Unit but it appears that you need some help to setup an Admob Ad Unit in Google console.

The team did offer to help to create an Admob ad unit on your behalf (it is not something we normally do as it is beyond our scope of support), and they did reply to your case via email (with the case ID) and ask for access to your Admob account so they can jump in to help, however, they had problem to access as your account has turned on 2FA. Unfortunately the case was closed automatically before we had a chance to get back to you to turn off 2FA so we can access. We want to apologize of this case slipping thru the crack.

Having that said, the Admob support should be best handle by the Google staff. If you have trouble getting the Ad Unit to show in the app, the first thing to do is to use our sample Ad Unit (as documented in our console) - if you can see our sample ad unit, it is likely that your Ad Unit did not make available to the mobile app (and you need to target to iOS and Android explicitly).

I understand this can be confusing especially coming from the web world. But again I want to emphasize the team did attempt to go extra mile to help something not in their scope and in their expertise and unfortunately the balls are dropped right there.

If you want to give it another shot, let us know - and if you need help with Admob, we are happy to connect you with few forum owners who have successfully setup the Ad Unit to get you started. If you have specific problem with Admob, we can also connect you with our contact at Google Admob if you are not getting meaningful response from them.

- Winter

Tapatalk was better several versions ago. They introduce more bloat every upgrade. Still better than responsive browsing lol.
Completely disagree. The lack of core features in the editor (bold, italic, font colours etc), the lack of integration with XenForo add-ons like the media gallery, the bland look etc. Responsive browsing knocks the socks off Tapatalk.

Completely disagree. The lack of core features in the editor (bold, italic, font colours etc), the lack of integration with XenForo add-ons like the media gallery, the bland look etc. Responsive browsing knocks the socks off Tapatalk.
Only if your members care about those bells and whistles. My members would just assume talk about their dogs then push buttons that change colors and make things different sizes. It actually frustrates me quite a bit. It also seems a lot of millennial's won't surf a website without an app. I don't really understand it but the younger crowd has little interest in using a browser to enjoy their favorite sites.

My issue with Tapatalk, and the catalyst for jumpting the VB ship to something with a responsive design, is the new "feature" they have added. I run www.LandCruiserClub.net and I noticed a TT group called Land Cruiser Club Group. "Odd" thinks I. "I've never created something like that". They have created a group local to themselves, has nothing to do with me, but has my branding and my users are automatically added as are many other of their users. Sadly, my users don't realise what is happening and post to their heart's content. Me? I see nothing of their traffic or content :(

So, dropping TT going forward. If there is a demand for an app then I will write my own which simply embeds my lovely responsive design :D

I uninstalled the Tapatalk plug-in but continue to get an error in AdminCP related to tapatalk. Anyone know why?

Did you delete all its files?

You mean the mobiquo directory? No. But shouldn't the uninstallation of the add-on cease all activity that would cause an error in AdminCP? Are you saying that the add-on is somehow still active even after uninstallation?

We will agree to disagree on that. Responsive is much simpler and friendlier across the diversity of devices available today.
Yeah but for everyone who agrees with this there is someone who disagrees. why anyone would so easily dismiss so many potential contributors is beyond my understanding.. With that being said..

I personally agree with you and frankly hate apps for forums, to me all they do jack the experience i work so hard to assure my members receive, but there's no denying that TT exposes a great many sites to a good deal of members who otherwise would have never known we exist.. And if you are a BYO customer getting your brand listed in the various app stores is absolutely invaluable in terms of expanding your own brand. I think the average forum admin would be hard pressed to do this cheaper then Tapatalk is offering.. Nothing against the yet to be released app by Slavik but waiting on that (even if its released tomorrow) was getting tiresome and frustrating all the while competitors are on TT BYO raking in new Views, members and content.. I know TT is not for everyone but i wouldn't dismiss the power of having an app for your site listed in the app stores.. who produces that app is another conversation.

Top Bottom