TaigaChat Pro - Realtime chat/shoutbox [Deleted]

Thanks for the reply but we want all users who post on anything public to have their thread shown and not just a single user so would need to stop that plugin entirely unless I misunderstood how what you explained has worked. I can pay for custom work I guess to get someone to have a poke, thanks.

It just uses the user ID to analyse permissions, it's got nothing to do with filtering to a single user's posts

The first thing to check is any modified templates, then other addons and your custom style. There are definitely no HTML nesting issues taigachat itself so it would have to be something else causing it
I just uninstalled and reinstalled. Seems to be working fine now. Quicker than spending hours ****ing around with all the templates.

Hi,

I ordered this and paid for this via my PayPal account this morning and a good number of hours later Im still looking for it. Not upset or anything just curious as to how I get it, when I get it that sort of thing. Luke I sent you an email with an image of the paypal receipt.

Cheers,
Ray

Hi,

I ordered this and paid for this via my PayPal account this morning and a good number of hours later Im still looking for it. Not upset or anything just curious as to how I get it, when I get it that sort of thing. Luke I sent you an email with an image of the paypal receipt.

Cheers,
Ray

Apologies for that, seems there was a temporary outbound email issue on my end. You should have received it now

Yes Sir!! No apologies needed, figured something was up.

Thanks for the quick response, Im off to do some Shouting!!

Ray

Hello,

I have nothing to say but good words regarding your work with this addon.
It does a great job without any noticeable impact on my forum performance.

But it would be great if you could implement a custom banning time.

Maybe one would need to add a temporary ban to a certain user.

Currently if you ban a user it's permanent which is kind of harsh.

Moreover it would also be a great feature if you could implement a private message feature.
If I wish to send a message that only Mark could see I would type "/Mark Hello, how was your day?"
And the message would appear with a different text color background inside the window chat but only Mark can read it.

And an admin permission to bypass this privacy would also be welcomed.

Kind regards,
George.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdn
I'm considering whether to use TaigaChat Pro on www.AVForums.com. Can I ask those people with it running on their forums what kind of effect it has had?
Has it increased or reduced the number of forum posts?
Has it Increased or reduced the number of visitors and/or members to the forum significantly?
Is spam a probem?
Is abuse (bad language/disrespecting other members) a problem?
Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Why waiting for us to give our feedback when you can install the free version of taigachat?
Go ahead give it a spin :D
See for yourself.

Kind regards,
George.

Why waiting for us to give our feedback when you can install the free version of taigachat?
Because it's probably important to work out how to use the addon before it's slapped on the site.
And because it's confusing to members and unprofessional to add new features to the site to only then remove them when nobody takes any interest in them.
And because we can't afford to make a mistake if the addon actually reduces the number of new threads and posts.

The addon is no doubt fun for people to use, but is there any evidence that it has any effects on traffic or content either positive or negative?

Last edited:
I'm considering whether to use TaigaChat Pro on www.AVForums.com. Can I ask those people with it running on their forums what kind of effect it has had?
Has it Increased or reduced the number of visitors and/or members to the forum significantly?
Is spam a probem?
Thank you in advance.

In my experience, it's decreased posting activity. For sites with a popular chat system, your page views go down for registered members because some are just sitting on the chat page, and not browsing forums. Moderators now have to monitor the chat page, and not monitor posts.

It hasn't led to any new registrations in my experience. Have never had a spam problem with it. Spammers don't seem to notice chat, nor no how it operates.

As far as abuse, if chat is private, it has the same attributes of a private forum. There will be pokes and jabs at other members, saltier language, etc. But most members respect the regular forum site rules.

Had a question for you Luke, we have a strange issue where sometimes the shoutbox will eat messages (make them disappear) that have been posted - sometimes they'll reappear with a page refresh and sometimes they won't. Sometimes they'll disappear and reappear after 10 seconds or so without a refresh. We have a very low volume chat (~avg 10-15 people). Do you know why this may be occurring? Here are the settings (speed mode enabled).

QP2wm9t.png

Do you think it's a hosting thing?

Hi Luke,

I have it up and running now and my members like it.

Quick question or 2;

In your install instructions this is listed............................................

Fresh installation instructions:

If upgrading from TaigaChat free, scroll down for correct instructions!

If you use [bd] Widget Framework:

1. Upload contents of upload folder to forum root.
  2. Install new addon using addon-TaigaChat.xml.
  3. Set the permissions for all relevant user groups.
  4. Import widget_framework_taigachat_pro.xml from Appearance > Import Widgets - do NOT delete your existing widgets when prompted.
    Then, go to Appearance > List Widgets and enable one of the two available Shoutbox types (Sidebar or Full width), and additionally the ‘Users in Chat’ widget if you desire.
  5. Observe the settings in Home > Options > TaigaChat Pro, especially the top setting (‘Speed mode’) if shoutbox security matters.
  6. If you use XenPorta and wish to include TaigaChat in your portal, upload contents of xenporta/upload folder to your forum root, then in Home > Blocks > Install Block, install TaigaChat.xml, TaigaChatAlt.xml and TaigaChatOnline.xml.

It is number 6 that is giving me the problem as I cant find Home>blocks anywhere so as to install those last 3 items. Any help would be great.

The other question is I noticed that the usernames in the chatbox could have individual colors. I dont know how to do that. The text color change is easy but not the username. How to do that??

Thanks
Ray

Is spam a probem?
Thank you in advance.

I have run chatboxes, shoutboxes on this software and IPB. My members like the feature but only use if on occasion. I checked your site and to be honest I cant really decide if it would hurt or help you. My site, Im just rebuilding it from scratch when all content was lost in the migration, is a fairly popular gaming and Call of Duty mapping site. I really dont think you will hurt your site by adding it. Spam wont be a problem or at least I would be really surprised if it was. My members still post more than shout and seem to view the Chatbox as more of a novelty, for giggles more than anything else.

Hello,

I hope my above two mentioned suggestions will be looked at.

The concern of another user regarding how this shoutbox may have an impact on a forums users posting activity lead to the following idea:
any reply and/or thread made by a user gives him a maximum of 5 shouts per new post and 10 per new thread (or any number which can be modified in the admincp).
After the shouting limit is reached an error would appear to the user stating he needs to post a thread or a reply in order to gain shouts.

This would keep the posting alive and also engage the community.

Kind regards,
George.

Had a question for you Luke, we have a strange issue where sometimes the shoutbox will eat messages (make them disappear) that have been posted - sometimes they'll reappear with a page refresh and sometimes they won't. Sometimes they'll disappear and reappear after 10 seconds or so without a refresh. We have a very low volume chat (~avg 10-15 people). Do you know why this may be occurring? Here are the settings (speed mode enabled).

Do you think it's a hosting thing?

I've seen that happen if the refresh ajax response is particularly slow (>1-2 seconds). Make sure your server is set to gzip .html files (e.g.), and also try disabling speed mode.

Hi Luke,

I have it up and running now and my members like it.

Quick question or 2;

In your install instructions this is listed............................................

Fresh installation instructions:

If upgrading from TaigaChat free, scroll down for correct instructions!

If you use [bd] Widget Framework:

1. Upload contents of upload folder to forum root.
  2. Install new addon using addon-TaigaChat.xml.
  3. Set the permissions for all relevant user groups.
  4. Import widget_framework_taigachat_pro.xml from Appearance > Import Widgets - do NOT delete your existing widgets when prompted.
    Then, go to Appearance > List Widgets and enable one of the two available Shoutbox types (Sidebar or Full width), and additionally the ‘Users in Chat’ widget if you desire.
  5. Observe the settings in Home > Options > TaigaChat Pro, especially the top setting (‘Speed mode’) if shoutbox security matters.
  6. If you use XenPorta and wish to include TaigaChat in your portal, upload contents of xenporta/upload folder to your forum root, then in Home > Blocks > Install Block, install TaigaChat.xml, TaigaChatAlt.xml and TaigaChatOnline.xml.

It is number 6 that is giving me the problem as I cant find Home>blocks anywhere so as to install those last 3 items. Any help would be great.

The other question is I noticed that the usernames in the chatbox could have individual colors. I dont know how to do that. The text color change is easy but not the username. How to do that??

Thanks
Ray

If you don't have the Blocks page you are likely not using XenPorta 1. In XenPorta 2 it has a built-in TaigaChat Pro widget and you don't need to install any extra xml files.

Username colours are separate to TaigaChat and are simply the 'User Name CSS' option built into XF

Hello,

I hope my above two mentioned suggestions will be looked at.

The concern of another user regarding how this shoutbox may have an impact on a forums users posting activity lead to the following idea:
any reply and/or thread made by a user gives him a maximum of 5 shouts per new post and 10 per new thread (or any number which can be modified in the admincp).
After the shouting limit is reached an error would appear to the user stating he needs to post a thread or a reply in order to gain shouts.

This would keep the posting alive and also engage the community.

Kind regards,
George.

Noted your suggestions :)

The "Members In Chat" widget is displaying members who are not chatting and also members who don't have permissions to chat. I have disabled it.

I've been observing your Pro version on your website, is there a particular reason you disabling caching when its requesting the messages.html in Speed mode? Especially given this call is done (by default) every 2 seconds, thats a lot of wasted KB's you are sending around. In "refreshShoutbox" set cache to true, in chats that arent as busy, this reduces the load to just a few bytes as the server will just return a 304.

The "Members In Chat" widget is displaying members who are not chatting and also members who don't have permissions to chat. I have disabled it.

For it to be accurate you need to have speed mode disabled, or a high volume of shoutbox messages

I have noted the permissions thing which is likely a bug

I've been observing your Pro version on your website, is there a particular reason you disabling caching when its requesting the messages.html in Speed mode? Especially given this call is done (by default) every 2 seconds, thats a lot of wasted KB's you are sending around. In "refreshShoutbox" set cache to true, in chats that arent as busy, this reduces the load to just a few bytes as the server will just return a 304.

I'll add an option for this in the future. It's done how it is at the moment due to some servers giving future expires headers

Top Bottom