• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

TaigaChat - AJAX shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first set things up and installed the Chat box, I had it so Visitors (i.e., not logged in) could see the chatBox but not post.
That's the way I liked it.

Then somewhere along the line I did something that turned OFF display of the ChatBox when one is not logged in.

When a registered user IS logged in, everything is fine, I just need to know the path for retoggling the chatbox back to showing itself to visitors, but without their have the ability to post.

Thanks!
HJ

Chat is getting the first real workout on my site (10-15 people) and there are numerous complaints of script errors in FireFox and IE.

I'm not experiencing the problem personally so I'm trying to get some more details from those who are affected.

Edit: Here's one - "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly"

Edit: Apparently the pop out chat is worse for script errors than the main chat page.

If chat messages start to build up it, stuff like the XenForo relative time update code could start to bog down. I'll see about removing old messages on the client end in the next update when I eventually get round to it :P

Update from one of the members:

"Brogan, some more info about the script lag : the function at taigachat.js, line 134 might be eating lots of time for me"

Getting lots of double posts too.

be careful about setting the refreshtime to less than 5seconds.
ive tried setting it at 3, and server spikes to 118 server load
from standard 0.3

:D

I'm going to remove the timestamp from the individual messages to see if that improves things.

Edit the dark_taigachat_list template.

Find this:
Code:
  <xen:if is="{$taigachat.rawtime}">
  <span class='DateTime muted'>{xen:datetime $message.date, 'absolute'} </span>
  <xen:else />
  <span class='DateTime muted'><xen:datetime time="$message.date" /> </span>
  </xen:if>

Replace with this:
Code:
<xen:comment>
  <xen:if is="{$taigachat.rawtime}">
  <span class='DateTime muted'>{xen:datetime $message.date, 'absolute'} </span>
  <xen:else />
  <span class='DateTime muted'><xen:datetime time="$message.date" /> </span>
  </xen:if>
</xen:comment>

Update from one of the members:

"Brogan, some more info about the script lag : the function at taigachat.js, line 134 might be eating lots of time for me"

Getting lots of double posts too.
Getting the JS error too, since traffic has started to build over the last day or so.

EDIT: I've also upped the refresh rate to 10 seconds to help with the freezing.

I can finally post here. Nice name, I actually get what it means. ;)

I'll install it and do a test run on my live board (it has no messages so any error that comes up or if it nukes the whole board won't be a problem for me). I'll provide feedback soon. Good stuff, keep it up buddy!

Waiting patiently for the smiley cache issue to be resolved. My members really miss this add-on the last couple weeks I've had to deactivate it!

Page load is 20x slower if you have more than the standard amount of smilies on your site. I have over 100... :(

Waiting patiently for the smiley cache issue to be resolved. My members really miss this add-on the last couple weeks I've had to deactivate it!

Page load is 20x slower if you have more than the standard amount of smilies on your site. I have over 100... :(

I uploaded mine to the server a while back when I noticed the page load was really bad.

I too am still getting the JS error

I use browser Safari.
"
The following error occurred

The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console
""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom