[TAC] Fool Bot Honey Pot

[TAC] Fool Bot Honey Pot [Paid] 3.0.32

No permission to buy ($29.00)
I have not updated in some time. I have a question. Since you switched to using template modifications it seems your site says something about requiring installing the AnyAPI plugin now? Just wanted to make sure before I update. Things been working great which is why I never touched it.

#updated, allot of these errors...

Code:
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Access level to EWRporta_ControllerPublic_Thread::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class Tac_FoolBotHoneyPot_ControllerPublic_Thread) - library/EWRporta/ControllerPublic/Thread.php:4

I have not updated in some time. I have a question. Since you switched to using template modifications it seems your site says something about requiring installing the AnyAPI plugin now? Just wanted to make sure before I update. Things been working great which is why I never touched it.

It was recommended, but now not necessary since the core uses multiple APIs. It's there if you want to use Any API that you are not already using in the core (but keep in mind, the more layers of APIs you use, the more likely you will find a false positive). FBHP finds 100% of bots with 0 false positives, so multiple APIs are not necessary.

Last edited:
It was recommended, but now not necessary since the core uses multiple APIs. It's there if you want to use Any API that you are not already using in the core (but keep in mind, the more layers of APIs you use, the more likely you will find a false positive). FBHP finds 100% of bots with 0 false positives, so multiple APIs are not necessary.
So if I haven't added any apis to AnyAPI I don't need it any more?

Getting this with bdAPI

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Access level to bdApi_XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register_Base::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class Tac_FoolBotHoneyPot_ControllerPublic_Register) - library/bdApi/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php:0
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 6:06 PM
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(39) "https://mattwservices.co.uk/login/login"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/login/login"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(6) {
    ["login"] => string(23) "redmeryudou@hotmail.com"
    ["register"] => string(1) "1"
    ["password"] => string(8) "********"
    ["cookie_check"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["redirect"] => string(28) "https://mattwservices.co.uk/"
  }

Latest version should fix this as well?

Great add-on @tenants. Please add the hint "XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register" to the load_class_controller listener.

Thanks

Why do you need the Event Hint, there will be no significance performance increase, it will just break backwards compatibility
FBHP works pre XF 1.2, hints are post XF 1.2.

In this case, I'm also using one controller to extend multiple classes (so one hint wont do)
I would actually have to create 12/13 separate load_class_controller listeners instead of one (that would probably have a negative impact on performance)

I don't see why you might think a hint is needed in this case, I think this is more like one of the sort of cases where you should not use a hint

1) I want to keep backward compatibility
2) The listener extends many areas

Not only that, but

3) using the edit hint will always run after a general purpose listener

3 is something we absolutely do not want. As soon as a bot is detected as known bot for that area, we 401 and exit (or redirect) with 0 queries and very low bandwidth. Obviously we want to do this 1st before anything else, and we don't want anything to run after doing it (to keep the 0 query). If we add the hint, we are likely to run all of the other add-on queries first.

I also believe the hints are better used when your listener only covers one area (or very few)

This hint can be used to limit your listener to only being executed when it's needed, increasing performance.

In our case, in all most all public areas, the listener is needed (to prevent spam bots taking up resources to public facing functions)

Last edited:
Reactions: HWS
After upgrading:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Access level to Tac_FoolBotHoneyPot_ControllerPublic_Blog::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class XfAddOns_Blogs_ControllerPublic_Abstract) - library/Tac/FoolBotHoneyPot/ControllerPublic/Blog.php:0
Generated By: Unknown Account, 4 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(70) "http://www.aspiescentral.com/xfa-blogs/alittlebitofheaven.1868/rss.rss"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/xfa-blogs/alittlebitofheaven_1868/rss_rss"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

I kind of liked the simplicity of this add-on. It seems like it is trying to do to much now. All I need it to do is to stop bot spam.

I kind of liked the simplicity of this add-on. It seems like it is trying to do to much now. All I need it to do is to stop bot spam.
Would be at least cool to have this extended functionality as an option if possible. I haven't updated still yet. Was waiting on some more results like this. Kinda wish the download area contained the previous versions.

You can turn the know bots cache off (why you would want to do that I'm not quite sure, if you know a bot is continuously attacking your registration form, using up CPU and Bandwidth, FBHP now 401 unauthorised them with 0 quires, or you can redirect them.. but I wouldn't do that), but if you prefer the simplicity and would like these bots to keep attacking, you have the options to turn it off:

upload_2014-4-3_9-3-7.webp

Last edited:
After upgrading:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Access level to Tac_FoolBotHoneyPot_ControllerPublic_Blog::_preDispatch() must be public (as in class XfAddOns_Blogs_ControllerPublic_Abstract) - library/Tac/FoolBotHoneyPot/ControllerPublic/Blog.php:0
Generated By: Unknown Account, 4 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(70) "http://www.aspiescentral.com/xfa-blogs/alittlebitofheaven.1868/rss.rss"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/xfa-blogs/alittlebitofheaven_1868/rss_rss"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

I'll remove blogs, since they are not using protected pre dispatch

If other plugins don't use the same function access as everyone else, there will always be teething issues when a change is made (I've made the assumption that plugins will use protected _preDispatch, but it's up to them if they don't). Let me know about the issue, and I can fix / remove

... not making changes because other add-ons do things a bit different would be a bad move, particularity since we can make use of the data we have about known bots to stop bots that attempt to brute force and take up a significant bandwidth / cpu usage on shared hosts.

Last edited:
I'll remove blogs, since they are not using protected pre dispatch

If other plugins don't use the same function access as everyone else, there will always be teething issues when a change is made. Let me know about the issue, and I can fix / remove

... not making changes because other add-ons do things different to everyone else would be a bad move, particularity since we can make use of the data we have about know bots to stop bots that attempt to brute force and take up a significant bandwidth / cpu usage on shared hosts.

@Rigel Kentaurus can this be fixed on your end?

Top Bottom