Swap Used Cpanel

Robby

Hello,

Can anyone explain me what swap used levels of 99.99% means in cpanel?
I also see that sometimes posting takes a long time or blocks.
My site went just for the 1st time of my knowledge offline...

Hello,

I also see that sometimes posting takes a long time or blocks.
My site went just for the 1st time of my knowledge offline...
If it is normally there, it means that you have exhausted your physical RAM that is available and are now hitting almost 100% of the disk swap space used when that happens. I am not surprised that it went offline. In effect - you have outgrown (if this is constant) the hosting your are on or you have some seriously heavy processes running in the background (either run-away or normal). If runaway processes you need to get them fixed - if normal then it's time for a server (hosting plan or VPS memory) upgrade if this is near constant.

Hello,
In simple terms, under linux swap serves essentially the same function as virtual memory in windows with a slightly different implementation (a partition rather than a file). It is used for lower priority pages (blocks of memory) which get swapped so a higher priority can use the actual memory which is faster than your disks which swap uses.

I'm really very surprised because i dont really know what to make of it?
The long waits for posting are annoying. I dont have big processies on my server. Would it really be the visitors. I'm with hawkhost on semidedicated nestling. Should this not be enough for a forum?

Host says it has nothing to do with usage but with new kernels that using all the swap or something? Who can give me Some good advice?

Host says it has nothing to do with usage but with new kernels that using all the swap or something? Who can give me Some good advice?
Is this a shared hosting environment that you do not have shell access to? If you have shell access, what is free -h showing.
Sounds like it may be a problem in their config. New kernels should not be using "all the swap" unless their is a problem.

This is from one of my servers
Code:
tracy@pegasus:~$ free -h
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           23G       3.7G        19G         0B       269M       2.0G
-/+ buffers/cache:       1.5G        22G
Swap:          14G         0B        14G

This is from a server running ProxMox (which is a virtualization setup to allow VPS's to be served from it)

Code:
tracy@smokey:~$ free -h
Mem:           23G       2.9G        20G         0B       153M       265M
-/+ buffers/cache:       2.5G        21G
Swap:          22G         0B        22G

And this is from one of the VPS's set up on the above server
Code:
tracy@support:~$ free -h
Mem:          1.5G       559M       947M         0B       160M       253M
-/+ buffers/cache:       145M       1.3G
Swap:         3.0G         0B       3.0G

@Robby, doing some research reveals that the SWAP issue appears to be how they have their server configured and they "say" it has no impact on your services (but I think you are seeing different). You are probably either hitting CPU limits or memory (I haven't found anywhere on their site that lists how much each semi-dedicated has assigned to it - only CPU info and bandwidth/disk allocations).
What have they suggested (I've heard good things about them so you can probably rely on what they tell you). They are using Cloud Linux (from what I have read)? I haven't (yet) had any exposure to that virtualization setup (currently getting a dedicated configured with CloudLinux installed on it so soon will have).

If you want some info on it (from them) hit this page up.

Last edited:
And they call that semi dedicated...
Fancy marketing name for shared hosting. :p
Are you familiar with administering Linux? If so, I'd suggest going with a VPS (or if you don't mind around $80 a month you can get a dual L5639 with 2 1TB SATA drives in RAID 1 software config at a certain provider I'm very fond of - I have 3 servers with 'em now and have had excellent support when I needed it). Doubt you would outgrow that very soon.

Top Bottom