• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly do you think multiple categories should be added to a directory listing?

Tenants, Thanks for your reply.
We have used/checked out several directory type scripts in the past and choosing multiple categories is always difficult to do, without overloading the gui.
There are some who do it with simple radio buttons or check boxes, which makes the submission form a real mess.

There could be a relatively easy and nicer way to do it, but I am not sure if this would be doable:

- XenKinDir (xkd) would use the current dropdown combo box, but have one created for each main category
- Each dropdown combo box would than be a "Multiselect" ( which is selecting multiple by keeping the STRG or CTRL key pressed).
- (such a multiselect option is pretty handy, but I don't know if xenforo offers you this option at the programmer back-end ?

The other way of nicely integrating multiple category selection into the gui, would be a link to a pop-up window:
- In such a window you would have all categories on the left hand side listed; and to the right and side you would have the selected categories.
- in the middle, between each mini-lists you would have a " >> " and a " << " button to select and deselect individual categories.
- (such a solution would be the easiest to be understood by the user).
- ( i attach a mock up of this idea as an image to this post).

<<But this could be subject to easy abuse (users adding their listing to every category),
so a reasonable category limit could be added (settable from the ACP)

A very good idea to set a limit in the ACP. Especially, if you keep in mind, that this could be something you want to expand on, if you ever introduce paid (extra featured) listings to xkd, where one incentive to pay for a "supreme" listing could be to get your listing into even more categories.
This would be when such a limit field would be come additionally beneficial.

Attachments

• idea-for-multiple-category-selection-window.webp
    idea-for-multiple-category-selection-window.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 25
Tenants, I have noticed in many places you are creating a div before you are evaluating an "if" for content within the div...this results in blank spaces being displayed if the "if" evaluates to False.

For example in the sfdirectory_map_view template you have:
Code:
                <div class="fullleft">
                    <xen:if is="{$allowSiteURL}">
                            <span class="muted" style="font-size: 0.9em;">Site URL</span>
                            <div class="userin">{$directorylisting.website_url}</div>           
                    </xen:if>
                </div>
Would it not be better to rearrange this so the if is evaluated first and if it evaluates to "True", then create the div, but when evaluating to False, the div is not formed:
Code:
                <xen:if is="{$allowSiteURL}">
                    <div class="fullleft">
                        <span class="muted" style="font-size: 0.9em;">Site URL</span>
                        <div class="userin">{$directorylisting.website_url}</div>           
                    </div>
                </xen:if>
There are many instances like this but sorry, I just couldn't help mentioning it...please feel free to tell me to crawl back into my box

You can crawl back out, I'll do my best to wrap these divs up better.

Some of these empty divs are nested that way on purpose (for lay out when no value is added), but I'm sure there are some potentially empty divs that could be better nested. I will look into this.

Thanks to Schmitz for referring me to this mod. I've read every page and have a couple of non-technical questions. I visited the sites mentioned throughout this thread to see if anyone uses the mod the way I had intended to and I can't tell from just 'looking.' So here it goes:

1. Does someone who wants to create a directory listing actually be a member of the forum first or are they automatically a member once they sign up for their directory listing?
2. And can you just confirm that the listing is created by the actual person placing the listing, not by the forum admin, correct?
3. The main purpose for my site to offer resource listing, is to achieve a revenue flow. Can the mod be programmed to charge clients before posting and per post or per month or on a recurring basis? If so, what is the sign-up and payment process for the end-user? Do they first pass some payment gateway (paypal) before they get access to place their listing?
4. Canceling or 'hiding' a listing for non-payment: is this possible? Can the process be set on auto-pilot so that when people's listing become renewable they get an automatic email from Paypal that their listing is about to renew and their card will be charged? If their card doesn't renew we would get an email and at the same time the listing would go to 'unlisted' until payment has been made?
5. Is it possible to pre-program new-sign ups that that would give people the first month for free but then auto-renew at a monthly charge?

Sorry, so many questions... Trying to set this up for the future avalanche of listings coming through the door. :-)

Thank you!:D

Tomorrow, Tuesday (ish)... I've just found a couple of issue trying to make claimable listings "anonymous"
for instance, this: http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/reviews/guildford-cafe-rouge.402
isn't very anonymous when visting the thread list:
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/index.php?directory/european-restaurants.177
Or new listings, etc etc..

The fixes are there, I'm just trying to sort this issue out

I would like to give a bit of constructive feedback and ideas/suggestions, as I have been designing Directories with some other software (http://demo.gossamer-threads.com/perl/linkssql/page.cgi?d=1) in the past. Generally speaking, your add-on is developing nicely.... and it is getting quite interesting!

- are you saying you have coded a "Claim Link" and also the ability for adding Links anonymously (as Admin but without the Admin-avatar) ?
- did you also already include XF-custom-profile-fields, so giving the ability for adding custom-fields without using the fields you have created for your own website?

Sorry to say, but what I do not like is the design of the "Filter". I would guess that the user does not understand of what to type into that box? At least I do not get it.

The other thing what might be confusing is: what is the difference of companies registering via the Directory (claiming a Link and probably paying for this) versus a company just registering via the Forum and not paying for it? One more thing which is a bit confusing for me is the main Forums at the Homepage versus the Forums in the Directory - wouldn`t it be better to just have a directory at the homepage and an associated Thread for each company? But the Forums still free for everyone, but rather have the Directory at the Homepage, which would most probably make companies more willing to pay? I think companies would be more willing to pay if they are listed in a directory, whereby the directory should be the main featured interface, currently the Forums are the main interface and the directory is rather hidden.....

- the Link "European Restaurantsin Surrey" (Sub-Category) is unfortunately not click-able.

- is it possible to have "Main Categories", but without "Sub-Categories" ? Having a huge list of Sub-Categories make the whole stuff look quite empty and is killing it. Would be great just to have the "Main Categories" and the company-names (company listings) listed just under those "Main-Categories". Then when you have a certain amount of companies underneath the main category, you put a Link named "See More" and go to a full list of companies (all threads).

- it would be great to build the "Main Categories" and "Sub-Categories" into the Bread-Crumb. This will give a better logic for the navigation. Currently this is a bit confusing....

1. Does someone who wants to create a directory listing actually be a member of the forum first or are they automatically a member once they sign up for their directory listing?
To create a listing, you currently have to be logged in (it will ask you to log in when attempting to create one)
=> I can see that people might not always want this (so there is a possible enhancement there)

2. And can you just confirm that the listing is created by the actual person placing the listing, not by the forum admin, correct?
Yes, but next version you will be able to create your own listings (as the admin / mod) and set them to "claimable"

3. The main purpose for my site to offer resource listing, is to achieve a revenue flow. Can the mod be programmed to charge clients before posting and per post or per month or on a recurring basis? If so, what is the sign-up and payment process for the end-user? Do they first pass some payment gateway (paypal) before they get access to place their listing?
Not currently, you would have to create your own work flow for this, revenue is something I will need pay more attention to in later builds. (another possible enhancement)

4. Canceling or 'hiding' a listing for non-payment: is this possible? Can the process be set on auto-pilot so that when people's listing become renewable they get an automatic email from Paypal that their listing is about to renew and their card will be charged? If their card doesn't renew we would get an email and at the same time the listing would go to 'unlisted' until payment has been made?
Once again, I dont think the directory is quite where you expect it is. There isn't currently a revenue work flow for this plugin

5. Is it possible to pre-program new-sign ups that that would give people the first month for free but then auto-renew at a monthly charge?
as above

This is an on going plug-in that I update weekly, I'll add these suggestions to the to-do list

- are you saying you have coded a "Claim Link" and also the ability for adding Links anonymously (as Admin but without the Admin-avatar) ?
Yes, without the admins avatar (Anonymous will be optional for claimable listings)

- did you also already include XF-custom-profile-fields, so giving the ability for adding custom-fields without using the fields you have created for your own website?
I created custom fields before XF provided this option, there are already 2 areas (each with 4 fields) that are customisable. I still need to look at the the XF customisable solution

Sorry to say, but what I do not like is the design of the "Filter". I would guess that the user does not understand of what to type into that box? At least I do not get it.
You can turn that off (its optional)

The other thing what might be confusing is: what is the difference of companies registering via the Directory (claiming a Link and probably paying for this) versus a company just registering via the Forum and not paying for it?
Currently there is no work flow to pay for listings, in affect the differenced between the two options you've suggested would be cosmetic (some prefer using the lay out of a directory to search for businesses)

- the Link "European Restaurantsin Surrey" (Sub-Category) is unfortunately not click-able.
Can you explain what you mean, I've clicked it and followed through to the listing

- it would be great to build the "Main Categories" and "Sub-Categories" into the Bread-Crumb. This will give a better logic for the navigation. Currently this is a bit confusing....
I agree, I'll add it to the to-do list

.. I'll try to answer the other parts later..., I have to rush off right now

Added version: XenKingDir_v1.0.15.zip

* Allows users to set listings to claimable
* Allows claimable listings to be anonymous
* If a business places a claim for a listing, a moderation event is triggered.

It should no longer clash with old Post-It Notes (Bookmarks) mod and Ragtek's Invite Friends mod (I cant test this, since these mods are no longer avaiable, but from the screen shots I think I have renamed the hooks they may have been using)

* You can now sort categories: by node order, or alphabetically (so you dont have to worry about how you build up the directory list)

Next version will be v1.1 (so I'm cleaning the to-do list up, and adding the Enhancements mentioned above)

Found an issue Tenants...when the "Claim Listing" overlay pops up, the youtube clip sits on top of it:
img1.webp

I have been trying to make the right column in the listing a fixed width and the Google map fill the width of the center column but for the life of me Tenant, I just can't figure it out...any suggestions

Found an issue Tenants...when the "Claim Listing" overlay pops up, the youtube clip sits on top of it:
View attachment 21939
Some how I keep fixing that, and it keeps coming back

If you update this template:
sfdirectory_map_view

Find this part:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html"
width="100%" height="200px" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/{$youtube}"
frameborder="0" allowFullScreen>
</iframe>

and change it to:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html"
width="100%" height="200px" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/{$youtube}?wmode=opaque"
frameborder="0" allowFullScreen>
</iframe>

I've just added XenKingDir_v1.1.0.zip which fixes the above issue.
If you spot anything else, I can make quick fixes now (before I start any
enhancement changes)

I have been trying to make the right column in the listing a fixed width and the Google map fill the width of the center column but for the life of me Tenant, I just can't figure it out...any suggestions
I'm not quite sure what you mean

Is it a Fix Liquid Fixed look you are going for (it's currently Liquid Liquid Liquid, since I just wrap the child divs in divs with % widths)
if so have a quick look at this: http://www.pagecolumn.com/liquidfixed/3_col_fix-liquid-fix.htm

To change the width of the right column, look here:
sfdirectory_map_view.css

rightrvw{
width:20%;
}

And for the centre (map) look here:
.centerrvw{
width:48%
}

You could probably do better by giving the centre div:
margin-right:Xpx;
margin-left:Ypx;
(if both left and right are updated with fixed widths)

- is it possible to have "Main Categories", but without "Sub-Categories" ? Having a huge list of Sub-Categories make the whole stuff look quite empty and is killing it. Would be great just to have the "Main Categories" and the company-names (company listings) listed just under those "Main-Categories". Then when you have a certain amount of companies underneath the main category, you put a Link named "See More" and go to a full list of companies (all threads).

It is possible to create just parent categories, but only the child categories are currently displayed below them (on the main directory page), so this would result in just the category titles being displayed (not very directory looking ;) )

It wouldn't take much work to optionally display child listings (but this would be a non-default option, since many users prefer to include child categories on the main page, not child listings.)
=> Added to the To-do List

The "See More" option is something I was intending to add:
Optionally displaying a "see more link" when there are X links under the parent category (X being configurable and defaulting to 25?)
=> Added to the To-do List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom