Lack of interest [Suggestion] XenForo Virtual Appliance

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

gordy

Any thought on making a XenForo virtual appliance?
More info here on virtual appliances: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/502

It would be agile to create a self contained, monolithic OS, Database, web server, forum software all in one bundle (virtual guest), that is preconfigured, tuned and complete with all the trimings.

Many are using virtualization as rapid deployment, e.g. ISP's, cloud computing, etc; any plans to make a virtualization appliance that could be rapidly deployed is a good move.

Taken a step further, abstract the database as a separate component for replication, D.R. - disparate locations (for failover), etc.

With a virtual infrastructure your whole platform would be fluid, combined with vmotion load could easily be balanced as well.

Other hyper-visors and cloud computing efforts could benefit from an appliance(images) as well, Amazon EC2, Eucalyptus, OpenStack , etc

hehe, a Xen xenforo image would be downright cool :)

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hmm this is new. I suppose separating the forum to it's own container then attempting to integrate it won't work. I've never thought about this before.

By placing the software in it's own container you are isolating it from everything else, unless you want to use that container as the web service. Either way, I don't see why anyone would want the software in a container to begin with.

By placing the software in it's own container you are isolating it from everything else, unless you want to use that container as the web service. Either way, I don't see why anyone would want the software in a container to begin with.
I think you are confusing this with something else.

The operating system, software, database would be in one image (virtual appliance), send that image to Amazon EC2 (for example), spin it up, set the network and you have a complete system running.

Granted but from what I've seen on many services, it's not pretty. I've never tried amazon EC though.
I've seen huge companies on these solutions, and doing really really well, making their business model very affordable compared to doing it the old way.

I guess we have different experiences.

I like VM's , this is quite a good thing for people who break things like me. Also the ability with virtual machines to be moved around and redeployed on physical hardware with ease makes it a logical application for some. This could prove to be a valued suggestion IMO

Want to watch this thread, don't know how to do so without having to post something.

Prolly obvious, but seems absent to me.

Can anyone direct me to such a function > following a thread I haven't posted to.

Want to watch this thread, don't know how to do so without having to post something.

Prolly obvious, but seems absent to me.

Can anyone direct me to such a function > following a thread I haven't posted to.

Top right corner of thread (below "Reply to Thread") there's a "Watch Thread" link.

This is a good idea for services like Linode, VPS.net, Rackspace Cloud, EC2, etc. but I don't see how this would work with licensing, since all the XenForo source code would need to be included with the package. :)

I suppose you could setup an image that contains a simple XenForo download script with anything else configured.
You cd into the appropriate directory, run ./xenforo_download, it prompts you for your license number and password, and then it automatically downloads the latest version of XenForo from the XF servers. It's a bit inconvenient, but this is really the only way I could see this being feasible. :)

Top Bottom