Lack of interest [Suggestion] XenForo Virtual Appliance

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

gordy

Any thought on making a XenForo virtual appliance?
More info here on virtual appliances: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/502

It would be agile to create a self contained, monolithic OS, Database, web server, forum software all in one bundle (virtual guest), that is preconfigured, tuned and complete with all the trimings.

Many are using virtualization as rapid deployment, e.g. ISP's, cloud computing, etc; any plans to make a virtualization appliance that could be rapidly deployed is a good move.

Taken a step further, abstract the database as a separate component for replication, D.R. - disparate locations (for failover), etc.

With a virtual infrastructure your whole platform would be fluid, combined with vmotion load could easily be balanced as well.

Other hyper-visors and cloud computing efforts could benefit from an appliance(images) as well, Amazon EC2, Eucalyptus, OpenStack , etc

hehe, a Xen xenforo image would be downright cool :)

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think It would just be up to the individual license holder to build their own virtual disk and install their Apache php and what have you and then from their if you are going to be using it for development you can easily make copies of it yourself so if changes you make become unstable you can always revert from a backup instance of that virtual disk and start again and likewise in an operating environment be able to expand seamlessly and move the virtual disk to another physical piece of hardware with minimal intrusion. Anyone have a link for any web-software that has a deployment like this? I am interested but am novice in this area.

OR, the XF team offer an appliance product, licensed accordingly.. Who better would be suited for the perfect LAMP tuning and configuration! ;)

Ahh I just googled LAMP and actually somehow was not aware or forgot it was Linux Apache MySQL and PHP . {facepalms}
I have to agree this would be great if it was available as one of the options to download for your license but I would have to think that kind of functionality would probably raise up the cost a bit for various reasons one of which is the different choices in distros, I use centOS and I'm sure there are plenty of other ones in use by the various future clients of xF. Do you see the problem I see, or maybe I'm misunderstanding how a LAMP VM with individual licensing could be achieved easily.

I am asking honestly as I have built my own VMs and this is something that if I could have done easily including swapping the virtual disk between my server and my home workstation to develop and then upload and turn the site back live...I would have done this with vB and could have had a proverbial "undo" button for reverting after horrid abominations I had made to the code simply by having everything be in a virtual environment. All in all if it didn't effect the base cost of the software and if so was an option to have available if not used/selected as an option the cost is not incurred than I am 100% for this.

Top Bottom