[Suggestion] Username request

Stuart Wright

I want to propose that xenForo includes the functionality for members to request a user name change.
We get a few of these every day. Without this facility we have to organise for members to contact a member of staff or post a message in the forum. An admin then has to edit the user to change their name. Sometimes they request a name which is already taken or not suitable. We then have to bounce messages back and forth until they pick an available/appropriate name.
Finally we change the name.

Alternatively a facility to request a new login name in a member's control panel makes the process much easier. Only valid login names are accepted.
The name change is put into a moderation queue and super moderators can approve or deny the name change.

This is available in vBulletin via a plugin:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149377

It many not be something which is used much in other forums, but this functionality saves time and saving your time and that of your moderators is something we should always strive to achieve.

Upvote 12
I'd consider putting in a feature like this, but I don't think I would link to it, because I know from experience that it would be abused by users who just fancy a change.

What I would probably do is wait for a user to decide they need/want a name change, then PM the admin who can return with a yes/no and a link to the change request form, which would do checks to allow the user to pick a username that is valid, not banned and not in use. They could then reply to the admin with their desired name.

Sounds like a good way of doing it, those who want to can add a pubic link to the form, but would also be good to have an option in the admin panel to make the form unavailable as users would soon get to know about the hidden link once xF takes off, it will save those of us who don't want it from having to change code. It would still be good if there was some way of tracking previous usernames, again this could be an option to keep everbody happy, if this was in I would even consider keeping the change username form.

If people don't want to be accountable for what they post on t'internet they shouldn't post it in the first place, old content needs to be kept in context, changing usernames often means it no longer makes any sense, hence why I think keeping reference to old usernames in old posts would be a good feature. I can see why somebody might want to change a username and people can always start a new account if they want to hide their past.
We don't allow people to have more than one account. And people might not want to lose their account (their points/likes/trophies etc.).

We don't allow people to have more than one account. And people might not want to lose their account (their points/likes/trophies etc.).

You don't have to allow them to have more than one account, once they've set up the new one ban the old one. As for losing likes and trophies, I would just say that's tough, if a user wants to hide their past that's up to them, but that means they lose the good with the bad.

I have no problem with this system being implemented as long as it's optional, because I would never use it on my forums, I don't think I've ever changed a member's username in 7 or 8 year running numerous forums, I just tell people to set up a new account.

At least equally important is a previous username file, whether the usernames are changed manually or by a member accessible function.
This is crucially important. I'm not sure what kind of user notes feature XenForo has. Hopefully there is a shared textarea that all admins can view with notes about a user, or better yet notations stored on the user account. Right now, we have to post in a mod forum to document stuff about a user such as suspensions, banning, username changes, etc.
I'd consider putting in a feature like this, but I don't think I would link to it, because I know from experience that it would be abused by users who just fancy a change.

What I would probably do is wait for a user to decide they need/want a name change, then PM the admin who can return with a yes/no and a link to the change request form, which would do checks to allow the user to pick a username that is valid, not banned and not in use. They could then reply to the admin with their desired name.
If it's an undocumented link, then someone will post on their blog "hey, to change your username on a XenForo forum, go to this hidden URL..."

I'm thinking add an account flag "usernameChangeable=true" and if so, then the user gets an Alert and an option "Change My Username" is added to their profile page. When they click the link, they're taken to a page that, as you said, lets them test out usernames until they find one. Once they submit it, their account has the usernameChangeable flag removed, the name is applied, and then an Alert is sent to the admins or moderators indicating that username X changed their username to username Y (just to watch for abusive/TOS-violating names).

To request a username change, this could be a link in the member profile and there would be a XenForo AdminCP setting for which user(s) would receive these notifications, or the notifications could be posted in an admin/mod forum. The admin/mod just clicks a link to flag the user's account a usernameChangeable.

Too complex?

The idea of users being able to change their names isn't too bad although having an admin or mod authorise it would be best.

I probably wouldn't need it though as althought my forum isn't big, in 2 years I have only ever been asked once to change a name.

I think DP have the right idea, charge $25 for a name change. It makes people choose a name they want in the first place.

I'll throw my input here, since I wrote the plugin in question. I'll try to spare some time to port it over.

Top Bottom