Implemented [Suggestion] Thread voting / rating feature

Erik

As I'm browsing through the suggestions forum, I constantly find myself liking posts that I agree with and want to voice my approval for. While this is great (and intended behaivor) it would be really great if you could create a thread voting feature where users can "upvote" a thread.

This would be really helpful for this very forum, where users could vote on suggestions and then you guys could see the most-requested features/issues. Not only that, but it would allow forum owners to create a Digg- or Reddit-type section in their community where users can vote on news/stories/threads/whatever. A simple sorting option would allow you to bring the most-voted threads to the top, etc.

I would think this would be relatively easy to implement, as simple as adding another field to the database table and writing the code to increment votes, as well as the required permission handling. :)

Also, this should be an option you can turn on or off forum-by-forum, not implemented globally.

It would also be nice if you could provide administrators the ability to turn downvotes on or off. I know a lot of people would want the ability to downvote a thread but the concept of a downvote has inherent negativity that I'm sure a lot of communities would want to avoid. :)

Thoughts? :)

Upvote 41
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think the like system is just what we need. Ratings are over-rated and it required alot of activity for them to reflect how people really feel about a subject. One rating shows 5 stars which could give a false impression whereas 1 Like actually shows how important something is.

What about using first post's like count as the topic rating :)

I thought about that, but then I think there should also be a way to upvote a thread from the forum display, a la Reddit or Digg. :)
Actually, it's probably a good idea to use the like count as the rating. Otherwise with the like system and the voting it could get redundant. :)
Er, but then anyone could see who upvoted/liked a topic, although I suppose that's not the end of the world. Ahhh, it's hard to decide what I actually want. :p

So yeah, in summary, use the like count as the thread rating, but also add the ability to show the number of likes on the forum display (probably directly to the left of the original poster's avatar, and allow users to upvote/like a thread from the forum display. :) Don't know how you would handle downvotes with this system, but just trying to throw ideas out there. :)

This could also be used as a modification rating system when the modification community eventually comes. :)

No its not been overlooked. The guys didn't do alot of posting today because they're busting their keesters to get a bug-free script ready to sell in a few weeks. :)

No its not been overlooked. The guys didn't do alot of posting today because they're busting their keesters to get a bug-free script ready to sell in a few weeks. :)

Sweet!

Where do we send a case of 5 hour energy and some champaign? ;)

Only a few weeks, that's pretty fast already! Thanks for the news Peggy.

I'm on holiday around then - I'll give them a month so that it is ready for when I return ;o)

back on topic:

I like the idea, but I would see this as a mod / add on

This isn't really related to the thread's topic, but "a few weeks" isn't an official comment. :)

Only a few weeks, that's pretty fast already! Thanks for the news Peggy.
It depends on what your perception of a "few weeks" is.

This isn't really related to the thread's topic, but "a few weeks" isn't an official comment. :)

Is it an official "Oops, shouldn't have said that" comment though :D

No it's not.

I guess my understanding of "a few weeks" is different from y'alls. A "few weeks" could mean literally up to 2 or 3 months. :rolleyes:

No it's not.

I guess my understanding of "a few weeks" is different from y'alls. A "few weeks" could mean literally up to 2 or 3 months. :rolleyes:

Well "a few weeks" in most peoples minds would be about 3-4 weeks. :D

2 to 3 months is still nice and close though

I'm on holiday around then - I'll give them a month so that it is ready for when I return ;o)
back on topic:
Around when? A few weeks can mean 3 weeks to 12 weeks. At least to me. But I shall refrain from using any time references from now on.

Maybe edit your post to say it was from "Future Peggy"

I am not around in a "few weeks" ;)

ha cute. :)

As I said above, I'll try to refrain from using any time references, since my idea of weeks seems to be different from everyone elses, lol.

Week = 7 days, it's a universally set measurement, sorry Peggy, but it is.. So "Few weeks" = 3 weeks, as 4 weeks would make it a month. So, basically, a 'few weeks' is anything between 14 and 21 days.

Top Bottom