Lack of interest [Suggestion] Spammy signature alerts

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Stuart Wright

We have a page on AVForums which runs this SQL:

SELECT user.userid , user.username , posts,signature,count(usernote.userid) as notes
FROM user,usertextfield LEFT JOIN usernote on usertextfield.userid=usernote.userid where user.userid=usertextfield.userid AND user.usergroupid=2 AND usertextfield.signature like '%www.%' AND (usertextfield.signature not like '%www.avforums.com%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.flickr%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.youtube%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.invelos%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.myspace%')
AND membergroupids not like '%31%' GROUP BY user.userid ORDER BY userid DESC

To show the signatures containing external links (with a few exceptions) and provide links through to see their posts, user notes and edit their profiles.
This is a very handy tool because while some signatures are still valid (links to personal web pages etc.), those with spammy signatures are very obvious and can be dispensed with easily.

A better system which alerted moderators would be a great bonus.

Obviously spammers register with links in their signatures. Some post a few times and only then edit their signatures to add the links. They try to be crafty. Most are from India or China.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
i think which the spammers trouble needs to be solved at the mountain not in the valley ... :) this is an interesting idea, but, personally, i think which we must stop the spammers at the registration, not after they are registered ...

Obviously spammers register with links in their signatures. Some post a few times and only then edit their signatures to add the links. They try to be crafty. Most are from India or China.
I'm starting to see quite a few more of these myself and they are a pain.:(

i think which the spammers trouble needs to be solved at the mountain not in the valley ... :) this is an interesting idea, but, personally, i think which we must stop the spammers at the registration, not after they are registered ...
Unfortunately I don't think this is always possible. In fact I think it is rarely possible.

We have a page on AVForums which runs this SQL:

SELECT user.userid , user.username , posts,signature,count(usernote.userid) as notes
FROM user,usertextfield LEFT JOIN usernote on usertextfield.userid=usernote.userid where user.userid=usertextfield.userid AND user.usergroupid=2 AND usertextfield.signature like '%www.%' AND (usertextfield.signature not like '%www.avforums.com%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.flickr%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.youtube%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.invelos%'
AND usertextfield.signature not like '%www.myspace%')
AND membergroupids not like '%31%' GROUP BY user.userid ORDER BY userid DESC

To show the signatures containing external links (with a few exceptions) and provide links through to see their posts, user notes and edit their profiles.
This is a very handy tool because while some signatures are still valid (links to personal web pages etc.), those with spammy signatures are very obvious and can be dispensed with easily.

A better system which alerted moderators would be a great bonus.

Can i say OUCH? That query might kill larger boards.

Stuart,

Do you have rules for advertising things that may be of interest to your members such as where to buy products your forum is about? A store with a sale perhaps?

If so, do you consider their sigs potential spam if there are links to their store?

(This is a battle I am currently waging in.)