1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Spam cleaner: also remove quoted spam

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Walter, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

The spam cleaner is wonderful, here a small suggestion to even improve it further:

Often users quote messages of spammer:

spammer: "buy watch x",
    normal user replies with "don't spam our forum!"

It would be nice if I not only could remove the posts of the spammer but also the posts of other users who quoted his posts...

Shiro, Adam Howard, Andrej and 5 others like this.
  2. Caliburn

Caliburn Well-Known Member

I concur with Walter on this, so I support the idea. +1

Adam Howard likes this.
  3. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

Good idea.

Adam Howard likes this.
  4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

The only problem I would see is if the member says something OTHER then quoting the member; they'd be losing the post the typed as well as a single comment.

I noticed it a lot, my users would comment about the spammer, but keep commenting on the thread at hand as well. 

5. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

interesting idea, but it's practicable?

Adam Howard likes this.
  6. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

I always told the users: don't comment on spam threads or spam posts. If you choose to do, your post will be removed too. Your problem.
    Sounds unfriendly, but it always worked.

7. Forsaken

That is -usually- my stance on it, but the site that had the most problems with spam was a support site, and I was unwilling to remove the posts that were a valid bug report, or a feature suggestion.

8. MrBlubke

MrBlubke Member

I think it should be entirely possible to replace the <Quote></Quote> with post-number the same as the spam-post with something like <Quote>Deleted Spam Post</Quote>

9. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Would be even better, yes!

10. Forsaken

Make it phrased so someone can include a link to the Monty Python spam skit :).

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

(A small reminder: don't forget, if you want this feature you have to like the first post in the thread, see Mikes post)

12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I think the spam threads should be deleted, completely.

13. Forsaken

Often the spammers post in already existing threads.

14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Make the system smarter. If the post is not first post, delete the post only. If the post is the first post, delete the thread :)

15. Forsaken

This is about removing/changing the quote of spam threads, without deleting the users post.

16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I have misunderstood what OP was talking about. Anyway. I support the idea, if it can be done, although, the quote is contained in the post data, stored in the post table.