1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SUGGESTION (Sort of)] A XenForo 'Installation' package and 'Upgrade' package

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Vincent, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

I don't like that vBulletin only has an 'Installation' package.

It means we have to keep reuploading all files every time, which is pretty annoying if you can't unzip files at your website :(

Okay, they provide a list of changed files, but 2/3 times the list in incomplete.

Please XenForo Devs, provide an Upgrade and Installation package when Beta 2 comes out ;)
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

I rather have an auto update ala wordpress :D
    dutchbb, Jeffin, iGamer and 5 others like this.
  3. Vincent

Indeed, that would be cool :)

Well, it's not that important, let's just say we want an easier way to update than vBulletin ^^
    dutchbb, Floris and Peggy like this.
  4. Alice

Alice Active Member

I never did understand why there was never an update package for vbulletin, even free forum software like phpBB3 has an automatic update package!
  5. Vincent

Indeed ;)
  6. RvG

RvG Active Member

upgrade like SMF. Voila.
  7. Laric

Laric Active Member

I love SMF packaging really.
  8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

And I can't stand the way SMF does their upgrades, different strokes, different folks. 
  9. RvG

RvG Active Member

Basically, what I want to see is that I don't need to upload files via FTP. All I need is only "one click".
  10. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I recently installed SMF, the installer was literally two steps, I was genuinely shocked.
  11. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Well, at the time, and even currently, a lot of shared hosts have memory and time limits set pretty low, which doesn't allow a lot of automatic updates. Don't know if it'd be possible with larger packages.
  12. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Looks like a test is in order. Hmmmm.......
  13. Laric

Laric Active Member

How did your test go Carlos? SMF is really easy to install and patch.
  14. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

That automatic update package is used only from updating between version of the same serie where the changes are very minimal. Whereas to jump from a serie to another where the changes are huge, it is done manually btw.
  15. iGamer

iGamer Active Member

This would be most benefitial to everyone. I think wordpress has the best online upgrade system i have seen in a long time.
  16. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Wordpress like upgrade would be awesome!