Implemented [Suggestion] Similar Threads

Neutral Singh

I do not see similar threads showing up in topic on xF... i think it is a very important feature to get back some very old yet interesting debates. The similar threads in vB are very basic. You can not show them except in showthreads and you can not even configure the number of threads you want to be shown in each thread. You can either show them below the navbar or at the bottom of the topics so if there are replies to the thread then similar threads go down at the end of the topic.

I am still no sure of xF template system but I would like to have Similar Threads, which i can show anywhere like in the postbit right alongwith the first post of the topic on all pages or at the bottom of first post or even a right side-bar...

Thanks

Upvote 61
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ok, I did my search and did not want to make a new thread - Please LIKE the Original Post to get this Suggestion Noticed - Now let me articulate why this (OR any other innovative solution for the problem) is so important.

Firstly, This should be an essential part of Xenforo.- Its not in the domain of add-ons. This was very important feature of my VB forum. I am a bit surprised not so many people are calling for it, due to the level of interactions it increases.

User experience is great so far, but to have More Content presented helps Visitor Flow inside a website. A lot of blogs, and news sites have javascript popups when you scroll to the bottom giving you more content to see.

Providing relevant content retains users, and keeps them coming back for more. A busier site means, more posts made. . . etc

I believe this is going to be similar to a lot of other people's Xenforo installations:
Screen shot 2013-04-15 at 6.26.41 PM.webp

Interactions -- People will see a Post, then leave the site to another website. Or they back to the forum index. As you can see from the analytics graphic, there are no links from /threads to /threads. Therefore, one may assume a % of drop offs who would have stayed on the site, did not. It should be an option, as many have forums that are of a more informative/learning nature will benefit.

(BTW, my forum/showthread are from my previous VB installation, I am new to Xenforo)

+1

This is one of those vital features to have. Algorithm used in calculating similarities among threads might be tricky to achieve, but, this is exactly where a capable forum software could outdo others.

+1

This is one of those vital features to have. Algorithm used to calculating similarities among threads might be tricky to achieve, but, this is exactly where a capable forum software could outdo others.

May not even have to be similar to the topic, but something related from within the forum category is a plus too.

+1

Shouldn't this be a fairly easy option to implement, or add-on to create for those that have purchase Enhanced Search? Enhanced Search supports 'relevant results.' If supported as an option, it would offer another reason to purchase Enhanced Search.

Is it important for SEO? I enabled similar topics on a large forum and saw traffic increase by 25%. Accidentally removed it and saw traffic immediately start to drop. Still have a vB 3 or 4 forum? Enable or disable similar topics and report your results!

"Similar threads" is the only reason I would implement a sidebar in threads. I guarantee P/V's would increase as a result, especially for forums where guests drop into threads from Google, looking for a specific solution to a problem..or to research a topic.

Would love to see something like this developed...

1 I do not understand why this request from the customers is ignored for so long. It is commercial software, so I would expect that customer's needs might be addressed.
2 Did anybody test it yet? <Removed by Brogan>

1 I do not understand why this request from the customers is ignored for so long. It is commercial software, so I would expect that customer's needs might be addressed.

Question... why would anybody want to use something from a site that appears to offer nulled software?
I noticed it appears to have links to Taiga Chat Pro and XenMedio (paid?) on there (I quit looking after that).

Because there are more important features that need to be added before Similar Threads which are difficult to make accurate and aren't often used organically.

Why is this feature more important that the other features that has been suggested? Features are actively added based on customer's requests. So I am not sure what point you are trying to convey. Your reply sounds rather ignorant.

Besides it is not a very popular suggestion.. at the moment. ;)

Снимок экрана 2013-05-27 в 18.42.32.webp

I have removed the link.

Please do not post links to sites which distribute software illegally.

Oh, sorry, I was looking for such a plugin for months, and did not pay attention to the forum itself (I googled it).

Brogan, I see that lots of people ask for this feature, for several years.
Why do you think this is unimportant than?

Why do you think this is unimportant than?

I don't recall ever saying that.

Not all suggestions will be implemented, for various reasons.
A quick glance at the two suggestion forums show there are almost 2,500 threads.
It is unrealistic to expect all of them to be included in the core.

Just continuing on with the discussion, it is/was a part of core functionality in vB and is/was quite useful... my members love it, so when i deactivate it, i was forced to reactivate this option. So, the question is why this suggestion is not good enough to be implemented? I am asking without being argumentative from any angle! (y)

Top Bottom