Implemented [Suggestion] Similar Threads

Neutral Singh

I do not see similar threads showing up in topic on xF... i think it is a very important feature to get back some very old yet interesting debates. The similar threads in vB are very basic. You can not show them except in showthreads and you can not even configure the number of threads you want to be shown in each thread. You can either show them below the navbar or at the bottom of the topics so if there are replies to the thread then similar threads go down at the end of the topic.

I am still no sure of xF template system but I would like to have Similar Threads, which i can show anywhere like in the postbit right alongwith the first post of the topic on all pages or at the bottom of first post or even a right side-bar...

Thanks

Upvote 61
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's XF. :) I do not have that feature enabled in vB. Don't really like it, since it's an invitation to bump old threads. It also creates clutter on the thread page and I don't think it is even liked that much by most people.

It's hard to get a very accurate algorithm to pick similar threads automatically, this is why the vBulletin similar threads feature often returned non-similar threads that contained the same keywords.

Instead of adding a mostly broken automatic similar threads feature, I'd consider adding some sort of thread linking feature where users/mods/admins can manually enter thread links in an interface at the bottom of a thread. These would not necessarily be similar threads, but they would basically be "threads you might be interested in if you are interested in this thread".

well the best place to have it is while composing the post... so that the user can see if a similar thread exists in the forum already.

several helpdesk software products offer a functionality like this. based on i am not sure what criteria. if tags are integrated properly, they can be used for obvious reasons.

It's XF. I do not have that feature enabled in vB. Don't really like it, since it's an invitation to bump old threads. It also creates clutter on the thread page and I don't think it is even liked that much by most people.
Ok! Ok!! Its XF! :D

Well, its all about getting used to it and it depends on the type of forums you have. In a forum where each topic may become a kind of knowledge base, similar topics play an important part in making available those great discussions which the interested reader would be greateful to read. The other day i closed this option and i got a lot of stick from my members and had to put that option back. :(

Yes, +1 from me too. I am just surprised that it is not present in Xenforo yet.

Also I would like to suggest to put the Similar Threads box right after the first post, rather than at the end of the page :)

Would greatly help users to decide right-away whether that is the right page for them to look at or if there is some other page that is more interesting.

Did this get anywhere? Was there ever an add-on made for this?