Implemented [Suggestion] Similar Threads

Neutral Singh

I do not see similar threads showing up in topic on xF... i think it is a very important feature to get back some very old yet interesting debates. The similar threads in vB are very basic. You can not show them except in showthreads and you can not even configure the number of threads you want to be shown in each thread. You can either show them below the navbar or at the bottom of the topics so if there are replies to the thread then similar threads go down at the end of the topic.

I am still no sure of xF template system but I would like to have Similar Threads, which i can show anywhere like in the postbit right alongwith the first post of the topic on all pages or at the bottom of first post or even a right side-bar...

Thanks

Upvote 61
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Just continuing on with the discussion, it is/was a part of core functionality in vB and is/was quite useful... my members love it, so when i deactivate it, i was forced to reactivate this option. So, the question is why this suggestion is not good enough to be implemented? I am asking without being argumentative from any angle! (y)
It's not that it isn't good enough it's that there are a lot of other features that are needed before this one.

Just continuing on with the discussion, it is/was a part of core functionality in vB and is/was quite useful... my members love it, so when i deactivate it, i was forced to reactivate this option. So, the question is why this suggestion is not good enough to be implemented? I am asking without being argumentative from any angle! (y)

The software developers have to chose the features they feel are needed the most, both by estimating public want (first post likes), how it fits into the product as-is, what it'll take to develop (massive restructuring of the software, etc.), the timeline of releases, and the end goal of the next version. With roughly 2,500 suggestions, not everything is going to be implemented and the when of when something gets implemented is dependent on factors unknown to us.

Ok, I did my search and did not want to make a new thread - Please LIKE the Original Post to get this Suggestion Noticed - Now let me articulate why this (OR any other innovative solution for the problem) is so important.

Firstly, This should be an essential part of Xenforo.- Its not in the domain of add-ons. This was very important feature of my VB forum. I am a bit surprised not so many people are calling for it, due to the level of interactions it increases.

User experience is great so far, but to have More Content presented helps Visitor Flow inside a website. A lot of blogs, and news sites have javascript popups when you scroll to the bottom giving you more content to see.

Providing relevant content retains users, and keeps them coming back for more. A busier site means, more posts made. . . etc

I believe this is going to be similar to a lot of other people's Xenforo installations:
View attachment 44527

Interactions -- People will see a Post, then leave the site to another website. Or they back to the forum index. As you can see from the analytics graphic, there are no links from /threads to /threads. Therefore, one may assume a % of drop offs who would have stayed on the site, did not. It should be an option, as many have forums that are of a more informative/learning nature will benefit.

(BTW, my forum/showthread are from my previous VB installation, I am new to Xenforo)

Well, i am not sure why there are not much likes but this option was there when the same set of Devs were at the helm at vB... i am talking about the vB 3.x era... perhaps an add-on would be nice...

Well, i am not sure why there are not much likes but this option was there when the same set of Devs were at the helm at vB... i am talking about the vB 3.x era... perhaps an add-on would be nice...

If you want official, I doubt it'll come. This is much more of a core-feature candidate than an add-on candidate. Quick search came up with:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nobita-similar-thread-lite.1853/

Official add-ons still need to fit the end-goal of the software (RM came about because it was being built for XF.com and ES came about because well, that's a high end upgrade to the software and is used here.). And with only 2 people developing, its a monumental task.
Considering 2500+ suggestions threads, rank 23rd is a considerable number none the less! :sneaky:

Yes it is. (y) Was more commenting on the fact that although it garnered only 22 likes, its still fairly 'requested.'

If you want official, I doubt it'll come. This is much more of a core-feature candidate than an add-on candidate. Quick search came up with:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nobita-similar-thread-lite.1853/

Official add-ons still need to fit the end-goal of the software (RM came about because it was being built for XF.com and ES came about because well, that's a high end upgrade to the software and is used here.). And with only 2 people developing, its a monumental task.

Yes it is. (y) Was more commenting on the fact that although it garnered only 22 likes, its still fairly 'requested.'
The developer of that add-on is related to a site that offers nulls so isn't something I'd trust.

I'm in the "It's a useless feature" camp. I don't really use the feature all that much, not even when vBulletin was popular.

I'm in the "It's a useless feature" camp. I don't really use the feature all that much, not even when vBulletin was popular.

Mmmmm, well, I'm in the "It's a useful feature" camp. ;) I think, its an important tool for increasing your website's internal content relevance. It was always nice to have this option in vB.

When you are finished with a thread, you want to go to another current thread.

That really depends on what kind of niche you are in.
I see you are in the gaming niche. People most likely want to know the newest news, or news that is relevant, not news that is related but 100 years old.
However, when you are in a niche for information that lasts long, like technical issues, then a thread that is 5 years old might still be useful.

When having this feature to work optimal for as much niches as possible, there should be an option to set the timeframe between either current date and relevant thread date or current thread date and relevant thread date. I think that that would not be a very big thing to create, and it would definitely be a step forward in my opinion.

That really depends on what kind of niche you are in.
I see you are in the gaming niche. People most likely want to know the newest news, or news that is relevant, not news that is related but 100 years old.
However, when you are in a niche for information that lasts long, like technical issues, then a thread that is 5 years old might still be useful.

When having this feature to work optimal for as much niches as possible, there should be an option to set the timeframe between either current date and relevant thread date or current thread date and relevant thread date. I think that that would not be a very big thing to create, and it would definitely be a step forward in my opinion.

Exactly! (y)

Top Bottom