Lack of interest [Suggestion] Show membercard on avatar hover?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Kim

This sort of thing is likely to be a template edit issue - all the data is exposed, so it's not going to be a difficult thing to achieve, but adding admin options for this sort of thing really only serves to make the base product more subject to bugs and unexpected behaviour, not to mention the performance penalty of carrying around so many options and having code to support them.

Would it be a huge job/feasible/desirable to make the member pop up visible on hover (after a second or so)?

I propose it would work just exactly like the topic preview on hover...

I just think it could be neat to have it that way - read an interesting post, and think "let's have a look at who this person is," hover for a second, mini profile pops up, and then if prompted to have a more indepth look, have the avatar click to go to the full profile page, not the same mini profile, so in effect what I have suggested would save a click, instead of having to click to see mini, then click to see the full profile, you can hover to see the mini and click for the full.

Resume scrolling and the hover pop up goes away just like the topic preview.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Would it be a huge job/feasible/desirable to make the member pop up visible on hover (after a second or so)?
It's not something that the current code supports, but it would be fairly easy for someone to add.

Essentially, you'd need to look for $('.username, .avatar') and add a hover event that starts a timeout, after which the XenForo.OverlayTrigger code is fired.

It's not something that the current code supports, but it would be fairly easy for someone to add.

Essentially, you'd need to look for $('.username, .avatar') and add a hover event that starts a timeout, after which the XenForo.OverlayTrigger code is fired.

ahh cool, so a good candidate for a Mod then. :)

Right now, the poll shows 72% or responders like the data where it is(n't), so it may not be a good candidate for an option, but should it arise that there are significant numbers of people who want the info and equally significant numbers who don't, then it would become something for which we'd look at providing an option.

I meant a 3rd party mod :)

as in.. It's great how it is, I'm one of the 72% who adores it exactly as it is, what I meant about the Mod was - perhaps someone could make a mod for a pop up on hover, or to display those options on the postbit, not that you should include it.

But include it if you want :D I would use it constantly myself. *voyeur*
shifty.gif

I would like to see this feature with a 1 second or configurable delay.

What about if you hover over someone's avatar, and the username/title area below the avatar expands to include their other profile fields?

The reason a thread preview is a hover/popup, is because there are normally large amounts of information that will be shown if the thread is clicked, which could take time to read and act upon if needed.

The member card shows a quick summary of things. When I look at a member card it takes a split second to digest the information.

A member card hover popup would surprise new people once when they stumble upon it, after that if the information is needed they will probably click on the avatar. If they are reading a thread they will need to be sure the mouse is not over anyones avatar, otherwise that member card will pop up, and that may not be good.

If they are reading a thread they will need to be sure the mouse is not over anyones avatar, otherwise that member card will pop up, and that may not be good.

Only left handed people would have the cursor on the left, most have it on the right using the scroll bar ;)

I am not wedded to this idea, just thought it was worth exploring, seems like most people who have responded aren't in love with it, so no big to me :)

I just think it could be neat to have it that way - read an interesting post, and think let's have a look at who this person is, hover for a second, mini profile pops up, and then if prompted to have a more indepth look, have the avatar click to go to the full profile page, not the same mini profile, so in effect what I have suggested would save a click, instead of having to click to see mini, then click to see the full profile, you can hover to see the mini and click for the full.

Edit.. moving the last paragraph to the first post so people get what this idea is.

...so in effect what I have suggested would save a click, instead of having to click to see mini, then click to see the full profile, you can hover to see the mini and click for the full.
You have a valid point here, but most of the times all the information I need is on the member card, and I'm just concerned that the hover would get way too annoying. :)

I hear you, but I don't think it would get annoying at all, the avatar is a long way off where 90% of people would have their cursor, so it won't accidently pop up nearly as often as people are thinking it might.

:)

I actually think it would be much *less* annoying that having to click, wait whilst it loads, and then click to close the mini profile, it could be one swift and sleek movement to have it open, then just continue scrolling down to get rid of it... it would actually be quicker, sleeker and sexier.

It would work exactly like the topic preview on hover in the topic list.

Do you envisage it having member group etc details, can see on some forums where that would come in very handy.

Yeah, I was thinking all the usual bumph that is on post bit on other forum software, as well as what is already built in here on the click to pop mini profile... but on hover instead of having to click.

Top Bottom