1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [suggestion] Search result display: "Return results as threads" (plus extra)

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Jesepi, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

Having posts returned instead of threads can give somewhat repetitive results. Maybe it is just because of how long I have been using vbulletin, but I really like having threads returned when I first search for something. It lets me locate actual topics first instead of potential off topic remarks in unrelated threads. Once I find a thread I am interested in, I find myself searching inside that thread for the relevant information I originally set out to find. Would it be difficult to offer a sort of mix of the two?

How hard would it be to return something like the following:

Say I searched for "ipod touch"

I get search results that display a topic, and a number of "sub-result" posts within that topic that contain the keyword(s) I searched for.
    • Thread: Which music player to get?
      • Post #3, by AudioXPhile "...used a zune, creative xen, and others. Get an ipod touch because...."
      • Post #12, by SoccerMom ".. say get one, but my ipod touch died after a month..."
      • Post #22, by SomeGuy22 "I kind of want an ipod touch. let us know how it turns out if..."
    • Thread: How many MP3's do you own?
      • Post .....
    There could then perhaps be a button to "search this thread for full results" to search the thread fully. Sorry if I didn't explain this clear enough, but thats the best I can think of, short of opening up photoshop and drawing it out.
    Digital Doctor, dartho and Shadab like this.
  2. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

Although this feature is already implemented in XF, the option is slightly hidden(?).

Take a look at this discussion:

If you mean something along the lines of...

... I like it. :)

The supplementary results could be displayed by default, with the ability to collapse them using the small arrow. And the "Additional Results" text could be linked to perform a separate search in that specific thread.
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  3. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

Yes, that image is pretty much what I was describing.
  4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

This is neat.
    I'd settle for easier access to: [ ] Display results and threads on the Main Search Dropdown.
    (Oddly enough it is on the individual Forum Search dropdown. Not sure why).