Lack of interest [suggestion] Search result display: "Return results as threads" (plus extra)

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Jesepi

Having posts returned instead of threads can give somewhat repetitive results. Maybe it is just because of how long I have been using vbulletin, but I really like having threads returned when I first search for something. It lets me locate actual topics first instead of potential off topic remarks in unrelated threads. Once I find a thread I am interested in, I find myself searching inside that thread for the relevant information I originally set out to find. Would it be difficult to offer a sort of mix of the two?

How hard would it be to return something like the following:

Say I searched for "ipod touch"

I get search results that display a topic, and a number of "sub-result" posts within that topic that contain the keyword(s) I searched for.
  • Thread: Which music player to get?
    • Post #3, by AudioXPhile "...used a zune, creative xen, and others. Get an ipod touch because...."
    • Post #12, by SoccerMom ".. say get one, but my ipod touch died after a month..."
    • Post #22, by SomeGuy22 "I kind of want an ipod touch. let us know how it turns out if..."
  • Thread: How many MP3's do you own?
    • Post .....
There could then perhaps be a button to "search this thread for full results" to search the thread fully. Sorry if I didn't explain this clear enough, but thats the best I can think of, short of opening up photoshop and drawing it out.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Although this feature is already implemented in XF, the option is slightly hidden(?).

Take a look at this discussion:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-advanced-search-results-topics.2082/

Say I searched for "ipod touch". I get search results that display a topic, and a number of "sub-result" posts within that topic that contain the keyword(s) I searched for.
  • Thread: Which music player to get?
    • Post #3, by AudioXPhile "...used a zune, creative xen, and others. Get an ipod touch because...."
    • Post #12, by SoccerMom ".. say get one, but my ipod touch died after a month..."
    • Post #22, by SomeGuy22 "I kind of want an ipod touch. let us know how it turns out if..."
  • Thread: How many MP3's do you own?
    • Post .....
There could then perhaps be a button to "search this thread for full results" to search the thread fully.

If you mean something along the lines of...

Additional_Results.webp

... I like it. :)

The supplementary results could be displayed by default, with the ability to collapse them using the small arrow. And the "Additional Results" text could be linked to perform a separate search in that specific thread.

This is neat.
I'd settle for easier access to: [ ] Display results and threads on the Main Search Dropdown.
(Oddly enough it is on the individual Forum Search dropdown. Not sure why).

Top Bottom