Lack of interest [Suggestion] Search boxes

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

---MAD---

Hi there,

I feel that the search box that is always visable should be used to search current forums/threads instead of having a seperate search box you have to hunt for.

For example if you are in a forum the seach box says "search this forum..." or "search this thread..." and obviously you are able to change where it searches by selecting the location "Everywhere" or "This specific forum" or "this specific thread".

I don't know how hard this is to achieve from a coding stand point however, to me, it's a bit odd that there can be 2 search boxes that basically have the same functionality.

With Windows for example, if youa re int he control panel and use the search, it searches the control panel. If you search using the start button it searches for everything, if you are in your documents and search it searches your documents. Never do you end up with 2 search boxes on the same screen.

Thoughts?

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I really like the idea of content aware search in the header. I understand you're in a situation that from a thread you want to search for another piece of content, having to go back to frontpage first would kinda suck. However. I really like the idea (like I said) that you can be in a profile, and find profile content above global content, same with a thread, or a forum you're in.

I second this suggestion. I really really like the search box. Really like it. But a bit of tweaking to allow for context searching without having to click back and forth would be dreamy :cool:

I feel that the search box that is always visable should be used to search current forums/threads instead of having a seperate search box you have to hunt for.
(...)
With Windows for example (...) Never do you end up with 2 search boxes on the same screen.

Thoughts?

What a great idea!

In it's current state I find the Search functionality in XenForo not that intuitive indeed. It is IMHO definitely in need of some improvements (is this too convincing, Floris? ;)). Look for example at this issue that is arising now: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-advanced-search-results-topics.2082/#post-30259. The [Search Threads and Posts] button is positioned all the way to the right of the breadcrumb, making the UI confusing in that particular Search screen. People can simply not find that button or get that they can enter a whole different Search screen by clicking it!

Okay, okay it can be a lot worse (we won't mention the name 'vBulletin 4'), but there is room for improvement here in XenForo.

It took me a while for example to realize that:

(A) - When you go to the main search bar (right under the Username dropdown menu) and press 'Advanced search...' and then in the Search screen that follows press the [Search Threads and Posts] button, that the Search screen that is presented to you then, is the exact same screen as when you:
(B) - Go to a forum, Click on 'Search this forum' and press 'Advanced search'.

Also, I still don't understand why the Advanced Screen of (A) has a button [Search Threads and Posts] which brings you to yet another Search Screen. Why can't these screens be combined into 1? What is the difference actually between them?

The simpler it gets for the enduser, the better.

Also, I still don't understand why the Advanced Screen of (A) has a button [Search Threads and Posts] which brings you to yet another Search Screen. Why can't these screens be combined into 1? What is the difference actually between them?

The simpler it gets for the enduser, the better.

I completely agree with Grover. When we click Advanced Search, the first Search Screen should be eliminated and the Second Search Screen should be presented.

It appears there isn't the ability to search only a specific thread? This should be added as it's a very useful feature.

I feel that the search box that is always visable should be used to search current forums/threads instead of having a seperate search box you have to hunt for.Thoughts?
Great idea.
What a great idea!
:)
I really like the idea of content aware search in the header. I understand you're in a situation that from a thread you want to search for another piece of content, having to go back to frontpage first would kinda suck. However. I really like the idea (like I said) that you can be in a profile, and find profile content above global content, same with a thread, or a forum you're in.

A dropdown such as this could avoid your situation.

context.aware.search.box.webp

Top Bottom