XF 2.1 Anyone seeing this with odd characters in the search boxes and elsewhere?

ps23Rick

We upgraded from XF 2.1 to 2.1.2 (with the intermediate 2.1.1 done first obviously).. We started noticing this behavior in a few places -- specifically the search box, the Admin control panel fields and in the pagination buttons for threads that span multiple pages. Originally I thought it was the theme we were using but once I switched back to using the default XF blue theme the issues remained as you can see in the attached images. Any ideas on what is going on here would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.37.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.32.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.33.07 PM.png

It looks the same as the screenshot above.. no differences. I am seeing this behavior kind of here and there.. A few more screenshots for you if you don't mind.. I'm clueless here.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I will state that when I did the two upgrades, that I got merge errors in PAGE_CONTAINER and reverted to the baseline version of that file (I think that's the terminology used) -- we don't modify these parts of the system -- they're always vanilla and unmodified by us. Could it be something associated with PAGE_CONTAINER being messed up?

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 6.31.44 PM.webpScreen Shot 2019-06-27 at 6.33.30 PM.webp

Various addons may alter your templates as well.

1. Can you try disabling all plugins and see if you still have the problem?
  • AdminCP >> Add-ons >> Add-ons >> Disable all (top right corner)
  • If the problem resolves, you can then add back the add-ons one by one to find out which one is the problem.
2. You said you reverted the PAGE_CONTAINER TEMPLATE (and maybe other templates?) when you upgraded. Have you tried reinstalling any addons you're using? You can just use Rebuild from the addon options although it may help to reupload the addon files as well to make sure they are all present and unchanged.

Any other suggestions to try..? We only have one theme package and Tapatalk -- nothing else over the stock installation. This was working fine till we moved from XF2.1 to 2.1.2.. I don't frankly know if the encodings in the above DB settings are correct or not but I would imaging that UTF8 is pretty standard.

I did disable, via the ACP, the only add-on (Tapatalk) and it had zero effect on the issue..

Well.. I guess I'll just hang with it for the time being and hope it goes away.. I'm at a loss on other things to try..

ok.. quick update.. I went poking thru (in Safari w/ Mojave) the generated HTML DOM and found this for the Search box in the upper right corner of every page.. I subsequently went digging through the PHP code and found references to this in the PAGE_CONTAINER template file (./internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s2[0..2]/public/PAGE_CONTAINER.php)

So, I gather the offending string comes out of the database and is inserted within the template.. My question is, is it possible that my PAGE_CONTAINER is messed up and needs some TLC..? During the merge it was the only thing that didn't merge properly and I reverted it if I recall. IF that's possible that it's messed up, what's the best way to return it to a vanilla version again as we've never done mods to it. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 11.20.31 AM.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom