[Suggestion] Put "Reply" where it should

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

Another strange change where things are being moved around.

I strongly recommend to place it back as first link on the right, instead of putting like in front of everything. It's a float:right, and optional links are on the left of it. That's basics user interface.

Don't turn this great product into a illogical toy.

Upvote 3
Peggy if you don't mind me asking, are you a right hand of left hand person?
I'm right-handed, not that it should matter.

I say that the order of the links now is correct (imo), becasue I use Reply the most, and it should be right in front of me - or at least be the link closest to the center of my screen, in that group of links.

I think we could talk about this topic forever and ever.
Maybe we are still talking about this "big issue" still next year ? :confused:

I am sure there are bigger issues to be fixed than the sort-order of 2 links.

Well as Kier said they'll be testing it with Like Reply tomorrow and then choose from there. I say after that any new suggestion threads regarding this the devs smack a big old [NO THANKS] on the prefix and let users customize their own board from there.

I'm pretty sure they don't but i accept your hypothesis.
Actually data based on case studies.
And why would I even know that info? You might wonder? First of all, because I AM left handed, and I do web design and I do try to specialize in progressive enhancements, user experience, site architecture, user interfaces, and all of that involved. This comes with massive amounts of reading, case studies and years of experience of creating and participating in projects, talking to key players in these worlds and talking to testers during research and development of projects.

Personally I like it the way it is now, as Reply is the most common action IMO and when I'm naturally reading from left to right, seeing the "Reply" link first seems natural to me. :)

I liked it on the far right, and that's where I'll put it on my own board.

And while I'm at it - I don't like the rearrangement of what's-new and mark-all. It feels wrong.

But, whatevaaah. :)

I think we could talk about this topic forever and ever.
Maybe we are still talking about this "big issue" still next year ? :confused:

I am sure there are bigger issues to be fixed than the sort-order of 2 links.

Thank you for your opinion, I find it important though, it is after all on every post in the board, this site has about 40,000+ of those at the moment. Maybe important is not the word, you are right, I am going with significant.

Now we've both shared our feedback, thank you for yours :D

Today we are trying Like ... Reply instead of Reply ... Like. Let's see how we get on.

Reasoning:

Although having Reply on the left is consistent with the quick reply button ordering, I'm not sure that's really a valid comparison, as the button ordering is done that way in order to facilitate keyboard navigation (when in the text editor, submit the message with tab, space/enter).

On the other hand, the Reply link is almost always going to be clicked with a mouse, and therefore having it on the right edge makes it easier to click.

Further, having Reply on the far right means that it is always in the same place, regardless of whether the Like link is shown or not.

I'm not decided on Like ... Reply or Reply ... Like, I think both have their own things to recommend them, so this is just a bit of usability testing to see which feels more intuitive.

Before anyone gets too heated about this, bear in mind that whatever is eventually decided it is a trivial template edit to alter the ordering on your own forum how you want it.

I'm not decided on Like ... Reply or Reply ... Like, I think both have their own things to recommend them, so this is just a bit of usability testing to see which feels more intuitive.

Totally agree it is two different use cases... I prefer it as Like > Reply myself... then again I didn't really have a problem with Report > like > Reply... but heh

He meant the issue of Reply-Like and Like-Reply isn't important to him now.

^this. Because of...

Before anyone gets too heated about this, bear in mind that whatever is eventually decided it is a trivial template edit to alter the ordering on your own forum how you want it.

^that.

Further, having Reply on the far right means that it is always in the same place, regardless of whether the Like link is shown or not.
This is the first thing I noticed today. Reply on right, where it is always in the same place, makes navigating using the forum much much faster for some reason. Seems better the way it is at the moment.

Although having Reply on the left is consistent with the quick reply button ordering, I'm not sure that's really a valid comparison, as the button ordering is done that way in order to facilitate keyboard navigation (when in the text editor, submit the message with tab, space/enter).

Yeah, the pros -as expressed by all above comments- of putting Reply on the right: 'Like', 'Reply' certainly out weight the reason of consistency with QR for me now. For me the gripes I had with the link-order seems to be completely solved by the decision to put Report all the way to the left, there with Edit and Delete. Somehow putting that link there made the order of 'Like', 'Reply' much less important. So both orders are fine for me, and I actually like 'Like', 'Reply' now. :) (and I have the feeling it (the current position) is going to stay this way... ;))

Top Bottom