[Suggestion] Profile Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieTang

Can admins disable members' ability to set who can/can't view their profile? Either on a global or per group basis?

If not then this is something that really needs to be added. Profile privacy goes against the whole point of having profiles on a forum and I know that I'd never allow members to set who can/can't view their profile.

Upvote 6
I don't really understand why some admins would want to deprive their users that choice. Then again, I don't really get this sense of entitlement of being able to see any user's profile either.

Because profiles on forums worked like this for about a decade? Because some of us don't want our forum's functionality being broken?

Make it an admin option and we can all be happy, except for maybe a few paranoid members and a few people who hate seeing error messages.

The "Error" screen shown could use some work, though. Perhaps mimic the feel of a profile page (i.e., at least show the avatar and the member's username) and show a message explaining the user has restricted who can see their profile.

I agree with your analysis Jason and I think that this last bit is essential. After all there is no "ERROR" which is an anxiety trigger - what have I done wrong? or whoops there's something wrong with the site I('m using. There's nothing wrong. Just that limited i8nformation is available.

Then don't fill in that information.

This is what the privacy features avoid... We want our users to *USE* their profiles, to fill in this information. If it means they only want to display it then to their friends then that is their choice it is their information.

There are a number of things on a profile that wouldn't want public.

Full DOB
AIM​
Skype​
FaceBook​
MSN etc​
Some people may want that public, but then other would prefer to choose ok I only want registered users to see it (I don't want it in search engines basically). OR I only want the people *I* pick to see it (eg. my friends)

This is fundamental to online social sites, it if anything encorouges friendships so that you can then see that information and learn more about that person.

HOWEVER I do agree that the profile for those who don't want to share that info could be a bit better IE still show the general layout, profile picture and the information that is freely available else where (member card) and then show a error message saying that the rest of the info is restricted.

Maybe some of you want this feature, fine, you can enable it if it were made an admin option. But I personally am not going to be using this software on a live site if I'm forced to allow members to have an option that allows them to break my forum's functionality in this way.

Maybe some of you want this feature, fine, you can enable it if it were made an admin option. But I personally am not going to be using this software on a live site if I'm forced to allow members to have an option that allows them to break my forum's functionality in this way.

You wouldnt' be forced again it would be a VERY simple modification to remove that option from the usercp.

No, I'm not modifying anything to change this. This should be an option, plain and simple.

It's beyond ridiculous if we're expected to make modifications to fix a feature that breaks our forum's functionality.

No, I'm not modifying anything to change this. This should be an option, plain and simple.

That is your opinion, if they add it great... if not and you refuse to use the forum packed based just on that more fool you... Again this would be a very simple mod or even template edit if it isn't standard I am not sure I understand what the problem is but NP I will not take part in this thread any longer.

That is your opinion, if they add it great... if not and you refuse to use the forum packed based just on that more fool you... Again this would be a very simple mod or even template edit if it isn't standard I am not sure I understand what the problem is but NP I will not take part in this thread any longer.

Simple mod or not, this is a feature that breaks a forum's functionality. If we're expected to make modifications to fix this then that's just ridiculous.

Maybe some of you want this feature, but you don't have to support forcing it on everyone else.

I have no problem with users choosing their identities privacy, I think that's a great tool, but my biggest pet peeve is that other information is blocked that can be found other places... that makes no sense. Even if a user chooses to block his profile, I feel I should still be able to view his posts, since after all I can just exploit that "privacy" by using the search tool. I don't see why any board would let users block private conversation on an ONLINE PUBLIC FORUM. This to me just shows you're some pompous ass who uses a feature that is annoying as hell. Now even if I want to tell someone something, let a user know of something, the only way I'm able to do it is starting a public thread because that user chose to block everyone but people he follows... that's real good privacy there. Tell me what good comes out of disabling the private message system because that is what is done here.

I don't see why all of you are saying this should be a modification down the road when this feature has yet to exist until vb4/facebook to an extent. Forums are based off communities, communities are based off interacting with each other. When you let users choose block everyone other than the 2 people I chose to follow.

I have no problem with users choosing their identities privacy, I think that's a great tool, but my biggest pet peeve is that other information is blocked that can be found other places... that makes no sense. Even if a user chooses to block his profile, I feel I should still be able to view his posts, since after all I can just exploit that "privacy" by using the search tool. I don't see why any board would let users block private conversation on an ONLINE PUBLIC FORUM. This to me just shows you're some pompous ass who uses a feature that is annoying as hell. Now even if I want to tell someone something, let a user know of something, the only way I'm able to do it is starting a public thread because that user chose to block everyone but people he follows... that's real good privacy there. Tell me what good comes out of disabling the private message system because that is what is done here.

I don't see why all of you are saying this should be a modification down the road when this feature has yet to exist until vb4/facebook to an extent. Forums are based off communities, communities are based off interacting with each other. When you let users choose block everyone other than the 2 people I chose to follow.

I think I am being misunderstood here... I 100% think that the profile should show the general information IE avatar, username, posts etc no matter what the privacy... But I 100% disagree with a feature that allows admins to completely remove the privacy features completely...

I think if that is how you want to run YOUR board then fine install a mod that hides that option and you are done, but I like that vB and xenForo by standards promote privacy in features like full DOB, IM details and things like About Me... If you users don't want that info public but do want to share it with their friends LET THEM.

I think if that is how you want to run YOUR board then fine install a mod that hides that option and you are done, but I like that vB and xenForo by standards promote privacy in features like full DOB, IM details and things like About Me... If you users don't want that info public but do want to share it with their friends LET THEM.

If it were the other way around and there were no profile privacy options then I doubt that you'd like us telling you to install a mod.

If it were the other way around and there were no profile privacy options then I doubt that you'd like us telling you to install a mod.

I would have no problem someone telling me to install a mod to get the board how I want it... That is what mods are for... Same as I would currently install such a mod on a SMF or phpBB forum.

Completely agreed with the OP. I would rather not have to bother writing a mod for something which could be implemented trivially to the core.

I'M the one purchasing XenForo, I'M the one setting up MY board. I think it should be an admin option to be able to NOT allow users to block basic information on users profiles, that's all I'm saying.

That is a very valid point but at the same time aren't you purchasing XenForo and setting up your board for your users? If so, if they want to hide information shouldn't you let them?

In the end whether this is implemented or not, we're all admins here, well most of us I imagine, and an admin can see everything anyway.

That is a very valid point but at the same time aren't you purchasing XenForo and setting up your board for your users? If so, if they want to hide information shouldn't you let them?

In the end whether this is implemented or not, we're all admins here, well most of us I imagine, and an admin can see everything anyway.

Yes but... this privacy gives users the ability basically disable the private message system for themselves, that in my eyes is appalling. The only option I'd give on my board is the ability to hide identities, and post messages on my profile. Beyond that the profile page I see no harm in making it members only viewable. Does this make it so I'm taking away from my users "rights"? Absolutely not, I'm simply complying with the point of the community which is INTERACTING with each other.

I agree with the PM system it is needed on any forum. I believe vBulletin has that in it to.

What I meant was the users profile itself, the profile isn't needed for users to interact with each other. That's what the forums are for.

That is what mods are for... Same as I would currently install such a mod on a SMF or phpBB forum.

Mods should be for adding extra features. What you keep suggesting is that we should use mods to take away features that we don't want and fix broken functionality. That's not what mods are for, that's the sort of thing that should be built into the software itself.

If they want to hide their information then they shouldn't post it. Not on their profile, not in their posts, not anywhere. The best "privacy setting" that you'll ever get is in not posting your personal information online in the first place.

This isn't about us as admins, this is about our forum's functionality being broken by this feature and us being told to use a mod to unbreak it.

Some of us feel that it would be better for our forums and members if we didn't have this feature. As long as our members follow the one simple rule of not posting any information online that they want to keep private, then their privacy is protected as good as it possibly can be and our forum's functionality isn't broken making our members' experiences on our forums better since they don't have to go to profiles just to end up seeing an error message.

Mods should be for adding extra features. What you keep suggesting is that we should use mods to take away features that we don't want and fix broken functionality. That's not what mods are for, that's the sort of thing that should be built into the software itself.

As I said here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/profile-privacy.3412/page-2#post-51957 the fact it doesn't show any information I think is a fault and needs to be fixed this ISN'T something I think a Mod should do... However I think if you want to completely remove the privacy functionality then you should use a Mod.

And actually I see a Mod as a way to get any part of a forum to do something it isn't designed to do, this could be by adding/removing or simply changing features/functionality... Simple as that... The fact xenForo has privacy features is NOT a fault the fact that the profile page doesn't even show basic public information is...

If they want to hide their information then they shouldn't post it. Not on their profile, not in their posts, not anywhere. The best "privacy setting" that you'll ever get is in not posting your personal information online in the first place.

There is nothing more in your posts that has irritated me more than this particular mindset... The Privacy feature was added so users can post their details and share it with their friends on the site without the worry of it becoming public.

It is like saying don't bother buying car insurance just don't drive your car.

As I said here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/profile-privacy.3412/page-2#post-51957 the fact it doesn't show any information I think is a fault and needs to be fixed this ISN'T something I think a Mod should do... However I think if you want to completely remove the privacy functionality then you should use a Mod.

And actually I see a Mod as a way to get any part of a forum to do something it isn't designed to do, this could be by adding/removing or simply changing features/functionality... Simple as that... The fact xenForo has privacy features is NOT a fault the fact that the profile page doesn't even show basic public information is...

There is nothing more in your posts that has irritated me more than this particular mindset... The Privacy feature was added so users can post their details and share it with their friends on the site without the worry of it becoming public.

It is like saying don't bother buying car insurance just don't drive your car.

Ceri May how do you feel about users being able to basically disable private messaging themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom