Lack of interest [Suggestion] Optional Swear Filter...

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

PNE-Online

A feature that we have felt would be beneficial to our community is an optional swear filter where users can select in their settings whether they would like profanities to be censored or not; instead of a universal filter.

This would nullify the temptation for users to bypass the filter when it is activated; or complain about the content of the forum when it is de-activated.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think that's more likely an admin's decision to perform as it's pretty standard for it to be in the TOS - "no profanity". Just my honest opinion.

I like the idea of a personal option to activate/deactivate the swear filter. It means that people are free to express themselves and not every user has to get offended by others posts.

I've used the selectable Curse Filter on my forum for years...allows users to filter what others say if they are surfing with their kids. IMO, a must have :)

This is a better solution :)

This is what was suggested in the first post :P

Regardless, I think it is a good idea - but I also feel that too many user settings make things a little less fun for the end user. I mean, who wants to come to a website and have to configure x, y and z before they start to use it? The average user will come and post, regardless of whether you asterisk out any profanity.

But that's just my opinion, and what do I know. :P

I don't ever mind having lots of options, so long as they're just frills. So that if I didn't make a choice it wouldn't interfere with my ability to actually use the site. FWIW.

I never heard of an optional censor - that's pretty nifty. Much better than a plain old censor.

... but I also feel that too many user settings make things a little less fun for the end user. I mean, who wants to come to a website and have to configure x, y and z before they start to use it? The average user will come and post, regardless of whether you asterisk out any profanity.

agreed...which is why my filter is pre-populated with the filtered words and pre-set to 'on' for any guests or new members. The option to switch it 'off/unfiltered' is in their User CP, as is the option to add additional curse words or remove those I've added.

Can everbody help me.
What's a "Swear Filter"? Please say it's with other words. I can not translate "Swear"
Thanks

curse filter...something that turns the word 'damn' into '****' ...or whatever words the admin/user chooses to use.

Thanks. Now it's clear for me. :D

A "censor"-filter ist standard in most forums. I think it's a MUST
Yes, and XenForo already has one. :) What's being discussed is the ability to make this an "optional" filter so that any user can turn it on or off for themselves. So if they are offended by profanity they can leave it on, otherwise they can turn it off. :)

Nice idea. You could make it an admin setting like this:

Word censor (enter words in textfield below)
  • Censor on for all users
  • Censor on by default, but users can disable
  • Censor off by default, but users can enable

I like the idea of users being able to add words to the filter (for them of course).
There's something that seems wrong with this idea. I mean, someone who is offended by "s***" and doesn't want to see it on the forum isn't going to want to type the word into a list of filter words... does that make sense? Perhaps you could offer multiple levels of filtering, without actually listing the words filtered? :)

Try typing "Z enforo" without the space and you'll see XenForo. This is how a swear filter should work, as it adds lots of flexibility.

Try typing "Z enforo" without the space and you'll see XenForo. This is how a swear filter should work, as it adds lots of flexibility.
I agree, the ability to specify replacements for certain words is great. K eir also turns into Kier. :)

There's something that seems wrong with this idea. I mean, someone who is offended by "s***" and doesn't want to see it on the forum isn't going to want to type the word into a list of filter words... does that make sense? Perhaps you could offer multiple levels of filtering, without actually listing the words filtered? :)

my forum has 50k+ members, which yields 50k ideas on what words are offensive :) Flexibility in the system has worked, and once they set it within their CP, there is no need to return to it.

my forum has 50k+ members, which yields 50k ideas on what words are offensive :) Flexibility in the system has worked, and once they set it within their CP, there is no need to return to it.
Yeah, I get the idea of flexibility. My point is that I don't think people are going to want to type out all the words they don't want to see. If they find the words offensive they're not going to want to type them out (and see them in their user CP), right? :)

I think this is a bloody good idea... users love options, and options don't come from an admin controlling everything. I don't see an issue with a user typing the c or f word once into their area to never see those words again, or other specific words that upset them. Very minor amount of effort for overall user gain IMHO.

Top Bottom