Duplicate Mongolian vowel separator can be used to avert swear filter...

Liam W

The unicode character with code 180E can be used to 'avert' the swear filter.

Technically, as the word is different, I'm not sure if this can be classed as a bug. Now, don't ban me for this - but I do have to demonstrate somehow :p

****ty
shi᠎tty

The second one has this particular character after the 'i'...

Liam

Martok

Isn't this just the same as using another character in its place? You can replace that character with a full stop, a comma, an underscore and they will all bypass the swear filter and of course the swear word will be quite clear to everyone. Of course, you can also use a '1' in place of the 'i'.

You'll never catch every variant of a swear word. The best I think you can do is filter out the main ones and if there's an offender who continues to bypass this, stick them on moderation.

Liam W

Isn't this just the same as using another character in its place? You can replace that character with a full stop, a comma, an underscore and they will all bypass the swear filter and of course the swear word will be quite clear to everyone. Of course, you can also use a '1' in place of the 'i'.

You'll never catch every variant of a swear word. The best I think you can do is filter out the main ones and if there's an offender who continues to bypass this, stick them on moderation.
Not really, the main reason I flagged this up is because it looks like there isn't a swear filter when it's used - when people substitute letters, or add normal ones it's normally pretty obvious, this one isn't...

Liam

Liam W

This example is obvious to me:

View attachment 56219

(That's a screenshot. ;))

But what @Jeremy linked to is roughly correct. And there are thousands of "confusables" so it's not really feasible to prevent (at least while maintaining performance. See: http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/confusables.jsp We always say that active moderation is what's needed.
What device were you on :/ I thought unicode worked almost everywhere :p

Anyhow, I see what you mean. Oh well, if I ever want to annoy an admin...