1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug Problem with swear filter masking part of longer words

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Brogan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I wrote <s n i g g e r> in another thread but without the spaces and it was filtered; e.g. <snigger>

Now I fully understand why that word is in the swear filter but if it's going to catch out longer words which utlise part of the forbidden word then that's a problem.

I presume the famous town on the east coast of the UK is also going to be filtered then ; Scunthorpe.

Indeed it is.

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem with a swear filter. IT'S not human and can not tell when a word is not a swear word . A lot of innocent words get caught.  

3. Brogan

I think it's just how the swear filter is configured.
    If wildcards are used then it will catch everything.

I can post both of the masked words on my forum with no problem but the forbidden words are still caught.

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

In my old forum, the average age was 40+, so I turned off the swear filter. Didn't need it. 

5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That particular word is setup to be masked where ever it occurs, even as a substring. That allows it to catch other forms of it, but yes it does mean it can catch some false positives. It's not really a bug (and the censor is empty by default), but it's down to how we want to configure things here.

Trevor likes this.
  6. Brogan

Thanks Mike.
    I thought that might be the case so thanks for confirming it.

It should be easy then to configure exact words so longer strings are allowed.

I have to say, configuring the swear filter is one of my least favourite tasks but it's something that needs to be done sadly.

7. James

James Well-Known Member

I take it we can configure it to allow longer words that contain the characters without actually having to manually write exceptions?

Test to see if BBCode bypasses the filter: Scuntorphe. Is there no workaround for this yet?

8. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****** (this is a test)

on the first time i pressed edit, the link showed fine in the edit field. but it does not now. its converted into the censored version.

i posted the wikipedia page for the word mentioned above.

9. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

If someone wants to bypass the filter system, they will. xenForo just needs to get the basic implementation solid IMHO.

10. James

James Well-Known Member

Yes indeed and using BBCode is the simplest way to bypass the filter.
    Scunthorpe (empty plain bbcodes)

11. Brogan

Whilst it's true that people who are determined to bypass the swear filter will do so, we don't want to be filtering normal words as that will just cause confusion and then force people to be creative to be able to post words such as s n i g g e r.

James likes this.
  12. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

is it possible to exclude certain words from the swear-filter ?
    I would like to have a certain swear-word being allowed to use for my website.

13. Brogan

The swear filter is empty by default.

OperaManiac likes this.
  14. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

i would have other uses for it. like preventing people from posting links to spammy/rival sites. :D

15. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

that's what happened on the first vBulletin board I properly frequented, to which I then became an "honorary" moderator.

16. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to get regex support for the swear filter? :)

James likes this.
  17. lazer

lazer Well-Known Member

Yea, it would be pretty bad if you were the admin for the biggest forum all about Scunthorpe! :D

anotheralias and TrixieTang like this.
  18. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Also, this should be marked as [Not a bug].

19. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

What would be nice in any censor system is an exceptions list - so you could censor c***, but add scunthorpe as an exception.