Lack of interest [Suggestion] Mark all threads read on exit

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Do you mean when you log out, or just when you leave? Because with the nature of the web, it's really hard to determine when someone actually leaves vs just wanders off for a bit.

Because of the destructive nature of marking everything as read, it seems to be a better option to do it explicitly; I think the cases where it's wrong would be problematic.

When log out, of course.

The explicit form we already have it. I use it whenever I leave this site ;)
I have seen this feature in some phpBB-based forums, and I find it interesting, as it saves a few clicks to those who surf the forums in the same way as me.
Since it would be an option, it can be disabled by default.

I'm rather picky and still like the old option in vBulletin that was inactivity/cookie based so did it on time out.

That's me though, I'll just have to pick up a new habit and use Mark All Forums Read.

Can we have a "mark all subscribed threads read" option? When you changed the read marking limit a while ago, it messed up my subscriptions, so I have a bunch of threads from the beginning of the month in my "Unread Watched Threads" when really I read them quite a while ago. It would be really nice to say "I've read all of these" with one click, while leaving the threads I actually haven't read (i.e. those I haven't subscriped to) untouched. :)

When log out, of course.

The explicit form we already have it. I use it whenever I leave this site ;)
I have seen this feature in some phpBB-based forums, and I find it interesting, as it saves a few clicks to those who surf the forums in the same way as me.
Since it would be an option, it can be disabled by default.
I've clicked "sign out" once in a while completely by accident. If I understand correctly, you want it to make threads read at that time?

I think it's a bit too much to just add option after option to the user preferences, when it is a global system setting.

I think it's not a big task to just click "mark read" when you're finished reading it all and don't wish to continue, and want to log out.

Maybe it is just me though. I never mark things read, and I never log out. But I can understand that's because I am here at home and nobody else uses my systems. Which doesn't apply to a work situation where you leave a terminal.

I do think it's overkill to add an additional option just for managing logging out on a per user basis.

Top Bottom