1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Importing vB Thanks to xF Likes

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Stuart Wright, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

The vBulletin Post Thank You mod is tremendously popular.
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673
    4,687 installs.
    Could you please include a facility in your importer to add vB Thanks to xF Likes?
    If you are reading this and you support the idea, please click the Like button.

2. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that would be fantastic!

3. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

? With all due respect, but are we now expecting Xenforo to provide import-functionality for Modifications? Modifications that are in no shape or form part of an official default installation/bought vBulletin package.

Where does it end? I do not understand this request.

4. vbresults

vbresults Well-Known Member

There already is a like system in place. You could just change some phrases and get something similar here.

5. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

I think the user is talking about importing the data, not the actual hack.

6. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Yes, I know Stuart is talking about the data. That is exactly why I do not understand it. This hack changes vB's database to be able to work... so my question is: how can people expect M&K to support importing data that has been generated only by hacks?! It has nothing to do with vBulletins default package or any official addons (Blog, CMS) delivered by Jelsoft/IB. I think it is way too much to expect from XenForo Ltd, but maybe I just don't understand the suggestion?

7. Floris

Floris Guest

I rather import the reputation points as likes.

krstep and Dean like this.
  8. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

A importer (Mod) is very simple.
    One table 'post_thanks' with 4 fields 'userid, username, date, postid' :cool:

9. James

James Well-Known Member

I think an importer will be made by a third-party (or the creator unless he vanished) after a few weeks anyway.

10. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

I'll be writing an importer for this and other mods.

Alex likes this.
  11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Are you good with PHP and mYSQL?

12. James

James Well-Known Member

We can't comment on how easily it can be done without looking at the database schema. I would take a guess that like is part of the post table and it stores the userid of the user who liked the post. Of course, this could be completely wrong and like could have its own table.

It sounds like it'd be easy to create an importer, but without seeing how the schema looks we can't comment on how easy.

13. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

Anyway, I can't imagine it would be too difficult of a task.

Also, Grover, while that is a mod, the OP pointed out that it's a very popular mod, and XenForo provides the same functionality as the mod, by default, so why not allow people (over 4,000) who have the mod installed, easily move that data over? If I have a semi-large board, with "thanks" all over the place, I'd rather not lose that data when I switch over.

Even as a plugin, this is a great idea.

14. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

Most probably a separate table; since it's a many-to-many relationship (between user_id and post_id).

That would need a conflict-resolution because the reputations given in vB should also be imported as likes in XF. (discarding the negative reputations, of course). A process that merges the reputations & thanks roster before importing it would be ideal!

15. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

It's a stupidly easy task that could probably be done in a single query, assuming user IDs are consistent.

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

Well most modifications don't get many installs. But the vast number of installs for the Post Thanks mod, I think illustrates how much vB needs/people want a 'Like' system. The reputation system on vB is not quite right and compared to the thanks feature, I don't think many people use it at all.
    So it would be a shame, considering that there are 792,632 records in our post_thanks table, if
    • all the effort made by our members to thank people and
    • all that data within our forum indicating how useful and appreciative our members are
    is lost when we swap to xF.

17. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

didnt the early vb importers import ubb hack data, such as smilie cp and whatnot into vb?
    i dont see why xf couldnt import useful hack data.

18. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Same here. My members would hate to lose those (again, because we already did that once with a reset).

krstep likes this.
  19. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

^that.

Reputation != Thanks/Like

Luke F likes this.
  20. Floris

Floris Guest

I know that, it's just my preference. We all have those :)