[Suggestion] Friend Finder

I think peoples find your friends on the board from the mails. must be an invitation system in the profile prefences same facebook or other systems. we can give our mail adresse and pass and find our friends on the board. if friends dont register forum send an invitation mail..

That would be cool :)

Sounds too much like FB to me.
Yes but it is a very good feature. Infact many forums implement something similar even now. A member who is signing up would be at home if he knows his friends are around too. And if not, he might want to invite them over. (Obviously it needs a caveat printed that this is not to be used to spam other member's inboxes)

If a friend is too bloody lazy to personally tell me about a site, I don't want the site to spam me with unwanted email. No thank you. First moron that hit me with something like that would be shot, drawn and quartered, then hung from the nearest rafter.

I disagree Peggy. lots of sites use that. it is very useful option.

It's a part of what has contributed to Facebook's growth too, and other sites are catching on. It's been shown that users are more likely to stick around and return if some of their friends are already present on the site. We've implemented a similar feature on one of our sites, and not only have we seen an increase in registrations, but that a good portion of those registrations can be attributed to those 'invite' emails as well.

Surely your friends are only going to join if the subject matter interests them?

Forums are subject specific generally, Facebook is just a general social network platform.

I vote no.

It's a part of what has contributed to Facebook's growth too, and other sites are catching on. It's been shown that users are more likely to stick around and return if some of their friends are already present on the site. We've implemented a similar feature on one of our sites, and not only have we seen an increase in registrations, but that a good portion of those registrations can be attributed to those 'invite' emails as well.

Exactly. Functionality that helps me get more members and activity is very much welcomed.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be an in-board friend finder - like, someone new shows up and they get matched with a buddy so they aren't just floundering around unLiked and alone. :D

I agree, very good feature. There are 2 commercial addon of vb to do that (->invite friends from mail, facebook, myspace etc.), having this feature in the core product would take a great advantage to Xenforo.

I am in no need for this, but I can see the benefits. I don't know where I stand on this matter.

As with Facebook, this feature would rely on someone who doesn't give a rats arse about privacy. Sorry, this goes way too far. If this functionality were included in the core product, I wouldn't touch it. Period. It's one thing if an individual doesn't care and puts all sorts of information about themselves out there, but to actively seek a way for a user to violate someone elses privacy goes too far.

oh man...all this talk about privacy...what exactly is it that you're trying to keep private? It's a great idea. And again, another option that should have a disable setting for those who don't want to use it. Also, if an email is sent inviting someone to join, there should also be a link at the bottom that allows that person to say, "Hey...I don't want to receive any more invitation requests from this site". Simple as that.

And if you don't think your friends will recommend something good to you, (remember, facebook allows you to choose who you send an invite to), don't give them your email address. This is the same reason why I don't give my own grandmother my email address. She forwards everything she gets. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom