Implemented [Suggestion] FAQ or edit Help Section

Apokalupsis

May already be planned, if so, please disregard. But there should be an editable FAQ section, or the current Help section should be made to be edited (without creating/editing phrases and editing templates of course).

Having this type of content to refer new members to is a huge time saver over having to explain in a post or pm how to do something.

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
From what I've seen, most people plan to use the Pages feature for that sort of thing.

Have you considered using them for that?

OK, perhaps I'm not understanding the pages feature fully enough. Is there a thread or video tut explaining more?

It seems like it may just be a way to create an html page, can it do more? I found your templates for staff pages and I've created a page based on that.

Can the help section be edited or expanded by using pages?

Pretty much anything is possible with template/code edits but the Pages feature is an easy way to create content which is outside the forum posts.

The Pages however will not be within the Help section without doing some template editing.

I'm going to be doing sort of the same thing. Except using the "help" section. IMO it's a perfect spot to add some misc information, meet the staff, etc, etc.

Pretty much anything is possible with template/code edits but the Pages feature is an easy way to create content which is outside the forum posts.
But aren't pages limited in their placement on the forums? That is, they have to be listed in the forum area, like a category or forum? I'm looking to be able to provide a tab or link in a navigation bar/block to such content.

And will the Help area not be an editable area (w/o editing phrases/templates)? Or is it just too early to tell yet?

And will the Help area not be an editable area (w/o editing phrases/templates)? Or is it just too early to tell yet?
Too early to tell.

The developers haven't indicated that they will make that section editable (from within the ACP) but they do listen to the community so if there is enough demand, who knows.

Yeah, I want to make the change, but a few things are holding me back...

1) I'm nervous doing so since my db is so large, so it's a really big deal to do so
2) I'm a little concerned about the decreased activity on XF development (it has slowed to a crawl compared to what it used to be). I understand this is probably due to the lawsuit(s), but just the fact that it exists makes me anxious.
3) I would need to integrate XF into a WP theme (which there is a mod to do so), but finding the right theme for my community is a bit daunting, it takes time.
4) vb5 is on the horizon, and I'm curious how different from vb4 it will be. If it is good enough, I may not need to make the switch. In which case, I'll use XF for a different community I'm planning.

Glad to see the help menu addition though, it will definitely come in handy.

As we are migrating to Xenforo in a few months, I have just noticed that it's not possible to edit the help section.
Quite surprised really.
So a +1 here for an editable help section, please, so I can incorporate help on using our editorial section and other addons.
Thanks

It has been possible to add new help pages since XF 1.4. Since XF 2.0 it is possible to modify, hide, and re-order default help pages.

As such, we can call this resolved.

Top Bottom