Lack of interest [Suggestion] Captcha For PM's

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Oh lord, please no. If PM spam is a problem, prohibiting new members from using it until they make "X" posts is a far better solution.

I'm not sure why so many people here are so against it. Honesty, what does anyone have to lose by adding this feature? It's not like you are going to be forced to enable it.

I'm not sure why so many people here are so against it. Honesty, what does anyone have to lose by adding this feature? It's not like you are going to be forced to enable it.

they can add it if they want, doesn't mean people can't explain why they think it's a bad idea or offer alternative suggestions.

Because there are better ways of preventing PM spam. Captcha isn't 100% reliable and as jmurrayhead stated, just pisses off your users.

The goal should be to combat spammers at registration, not somewhere else down the line. I know you can't catch every single one, but adding a second or even third spam-prevention measure to the registration process would be much more acceptable than requiring captcha to send PMs.
Everybody only registers once. Some people send several PMs per day. You tell me which you'd want to be more hassle-free.

The goal should be to combat spammers at registration, not somewhere else down the line. I know you can't catch every single one, but adding a second or even third spam-prevention measure to the registration process would be much more acceptable than requiring captcha to send PMs.
Everybody only registers once. Some people send several PMs per day. You tell me which you'd want to be more hassle-free.
Indeed...and as a clean-up measure, moderators and admins should have the ability to purge all PM's, posts, etc. when they ban that spammer.

Not to cause arguments but that could be said about anything, really. Just because it has an on/off switch, doesn't make it effective. Imagine the filesize changes if everyone's ideas were implemented with on/off switches.
Completely agree here.

All of this should be user group based. For example, you might require solving a CAPTCHA for all form submissions (new post, new private conversation, etc) for your "brand-new users" user group, but move users to a new user group after a couple of posts or so.

If you require new users to input a Captcha form for everything when they register, I would imagine you'd have very few users stick around. First time I run into something like that, I never go back to the forum.

What if someone signs up at your board specifically for the purpose of PM'n someone say to purchase something from them? Do you really want your users to be held back from that because of a post count?

Not everyone's board will be the same so it all comes down to demand, but even so I'm sure this would be an easy plugin to whip up when the board launches.

I will never use software that pushes captcha or any verification in my face, AFTER I bothered to register, verify and log in. If they don't trust me, I don't have to return the favor by using their site.

A big no.

Top Bottom